O/D light of death fixed!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened to my '02 creampuff. At 104K I got the crazy shifting and flashing O/D light of death. I've been holding my breath waiting for the light since I got the ST @ 22K.

My fluid and filter were VERY clean. I've always kept them changed regularly. Not flushed. (just my opinion)

After a LOT of surfing here's what I did to deal with the problem. I bought a remanufactured valve body fron a very helpful ebayer. Installed it after watching a very detailed video on youtube.

It works great now. I've put ~250 miles on it so far. Time will tell.

I hope this helps someone.

Fred '02

The instruction video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHIK-dwhbA

Sorry, I couldn't figger out how to post 2 links, duh. :)

The valve body ebayer:

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you fred. ill keep this in mind.

i see the sport tracs been to dollywood. lol

if you come down here again let me know so we can get some shots of the two white STs together

if you come down here again let me know so we can get some shots of the two white STs together

Will do. We go there a few times a year. :driving:

Fred,

If you transmission was not slipping prior to the blinking O/D Light then you probably didnot have any excessive wear on the clutches and bands from slipping, and you were correct to replace the Valvebody. If you keep the fluid clean, I suspect that you will not have to worry about the tranny for another 100K miles...but just in case, keep your fingers crossed:grin:

...Rich

I'm hoping for the extra 100K, Richard. It never slipped at all. It went from as good as it ever was to shifting crazy and flashing the O/D light quickly. I was driving, everything OK, stopped for a redlight and there it was. When I dropped the pan, it looked the same inside this time as it did at the 70K fluid/filter change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but the tranny has never given any indication of excess wear, like slipping, dirty fluid or crud in the pan.

These pictures were taken at 70K. The pan had not been wiped out. It looked the same when I did this work at 104K, but I didn't take any pictures.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I hope it lasts! :grin: :driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal Fred......

Thanks for posting....

IF you wish to do a project on this feel free...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. I think I will.

I was hesitant about doing anything more than pan/filter to the trans until I watched the youtube video. Changing the valve body isn't much more difficult than dropping the pan. You just have to pay attention to the different bolt lengths. No biggie. :banana:

I have built a few performance valve bodys. They are tedious but not hard. The worst thing nowdays, is. Laying on my back.

Be nice to have a big garage and lift. Like Gary D, does....

Fred, did you take pics?

Eddie, Sorry, no I didn't. BUT if you watch the youtube video linked in the first post, it's almost exactly what I did. I say almost because my trans had/has a bonded gasket between the valve body and the trans instead of a separate gasket on each side of the separator plate. Other than that, it's like someone was there videoing me working on my creampuff. :driving:

I got the flashing OD light at 157'000 on my 2001. the key to this problem is to not drive anymore and fix asap before you do anymore damage.I pulled my valve body and found a blown gasket and since these transmissions our known to have shift solenoid problems I got a rebuilt valve body from central valve bodies in OK with sonic upgrades and solenoids ready to install. It is a easy swap out but messy just make sure you torque all the bolts in the right order in inch pounds not foot.10,000 miles later no problems.

Just an update. 600+ miles on the 'new' valve body and the trans is still shifting perfectly. :banana: :driving:

Latest posts