O/D button ST 07 owner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo 07v8XLT

Reaction score
hi, when i bought the 07 ST, XLT

the sales women said: when you drive up to 49.6 miles, the O/D always is off

but when you drive more than that speed , the O/D always is on

anyone know what happens if always O/D button is on?

how do you use this button?

I would say to me, from what she means, usually fifth gear wouldn't kick in until after 50mph. So then that statement would make sense, but usually, if your going slower than 50, the overdrive will kick in anyway. So really, I haven't a clue what she was trying to lean towards. I kinda think, she didn't know what she was saying. Almost like "talking shit out of her mouth". Just leave the button on, and you'll get good gas mileage.

The way the sales women explained it is not the best way, but may be right. Overdrive is the highest gear in Drive. When starting out you automatic transmission goes throught gears 1-4, then at some speed goes to 5th (overdrive). If you deactivate the overdrive your vehicles stays in 4th gear. I deactivate Overdrive when I pull my trailers. I don't know about the 49.6 thing but it seems doubtful that if you powered through that speed that the transmission would still shift to overdrive.

the above people are correct about the O/D button to an extent but i heard on a local news station that was doing a report on getting the most out of a gallon of gas that the O/D button is made for when u pull trailers but if u drive with it always on it will make ur engine run at a lower rpm and thus conserving gas and increasing ur gas mileage. if u drive down the interstate and toggle the O/D button on and off u will notice that ur rpm's are higher when it isnt on.

The sales woman did not know what she was talking about, the transmission will go into o/d below 50mph.

It is best to use the O/D all the time. The only time you would de-activate the O/D (pushing the button) is when you need additional power or engine braking, such as when towing a trailer, or driving in the city. With the v8 and 6 speed, pushing the O/D button deactivates 5th and 6th gears. I do tow my 4000 pound trailer in O/D, because the truck will pull it in 5th gear, and it saves gas compared to using 4th gear with O/D button pushed.

Leave it alone, Just done touch it....

Todd Z

Latest posts