not the usual MPG question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Dziubina

Reaction score
i recall a while ago someone posting some info regarding the S/T gets best gas mileage when traveling ??? mph highway. i jsut got assigned clinical rotations for school about 40 - 50 minutes from campus and would love to max gas mileage. does anyone remember this info??? or if you can just answer that's awesome. '01 job 1 4x4 on 33's 4:10 LS intake/exhaust. thanks

There was no specific info on this, Driving habits has the most to do with it and cruise control helps a lot...

Slow take offs , coasting to stops and find a nice cruising speed and hold it....

Todd Z

I agree with Todd, it has a GREAT DEAL to do with driving habits - also, the correct pressure in your tires help a lot.

Keep it well waxed - it helps the air flow - just kidding. Sorry, :pI couldn't help myself.

My 2001 with 4.10 and stock tires with the ac on and doing 75 I got 21 mpg now I am running 265/75/16 so somewhere around 32in and I still see the same kind of mileage on the highway doing 75. But have not corrected the speedometer/ odometer for the change in tire size. Hope this helps a little

It's all about driving habits and the volume of traffic you have to drive in. Even when driving on freeways, if you have to slow down and speed up to pass other vehicles you will burn more gas. Every time you slow down and have to speed up you loose the vehicles momentum and that eats at your gas mileage. That's why city traffic give such poor gas mileage.

I got well over 22 MPG in my 2003 Sport Trac when going to the National Meet in Louisville last year by leaving at midnight when there was very little or no traffice. I was able to cruise at 75 MPH for hours without ever having to touch the brake or gas pedals until I had to stop for gas. With other vehicels around, you can't do that long enought to get your best mileage.

...Rich

If you can maintain a light foot, you'll get considerably better mileage on the highway not using cruise control. Watching my ScanGauge, I usually get about 2-3 MPG better when not using CC than with it.

Latest posts