Not getting VIN on ordered ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Ewing

Reaction score
Have white LTD with Chrome Option on order.

Been on order since middle of July (order placed with dealer july 4)

but dealer said he wanted to wait a couple weeks to make sure

JOB 2 would be supplied, along with a little delay in getting pricing

on CHROME OPTION.

My dealer said he has a bunch of ST on order and is not getting any

VIN Numbers from Ford on any of the STs.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM

THANKS

Just out of curiosity and not in any way trying to be "smart"; what's the importance of getting a VIN number before it arrives at the dealer for delivery?

That's a bummer. I ordered mine on July 25th (Alloy limited) and already have the VIN and it's supposed to be delivered next week. Dealers do have some sort of allocation but I can't imagine that's too much of an issue right now. I would think they (Ford and dealer) would be happy to dedicate one to you. I would call another dealer and see what they say. Tell them your situation and see what they can do for you.

Edit: getting a VIN is part of the order process. After the VIN is assigned, a build date is set, then shipping and delivery dates, etc. Without a VIN it's not really in the system to be built. Did they give you a printout of the order with the dealer code and order number? In other words, do you have anything that indicates the order has actually gone through?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill It just confirms that the order was processed and that your vehicle is being built...

Kind of like a certified receipt...

Todd Z

No problem with mine or jfire's. We're both expecting our Job 2 Sport Trac's to arrive within the next week or so. I wonder if your dealer had already submitted his Sport Trac orders before you ordered yours, and now maybe he does not have any more allocations for them until next quarter. I don't know, but it sounds like he's bullshytin you. All he needs is the Option Codes to submit the order. The pricing on the Chrome Package has been available for quite some time, I have my invoice print out with each of the option costs listed which includes the Chrome Package.

You might consider dealing with someone else.

Yes - my dad ordered his on July 3, the dealer does not have a VIN or build date for him. he ordered an 07ST 4x4 V8 in Orange Frost. He's getting kind of anxious.

i guess i lucked out. they had the one i wanted with the options i wanted on the lot. i was happier than a pig in ........ mud....... yeah thats it.

It's been 22 years since I was a car salesman, but at the time the way it worked was that a VIN got assigned when the vehicle was "preferenced" for a build. If many units of a certain vehicle is ordered (or the factory has slowed down production :lol: ), it can take a while.

I had a special-order regular Cutlass roll off the transporter 4 weeks to the day after it was ordered. A Hurst/Olds took months before we even got a VIN.

TO BILL E IN ST L.

You are right - getting the VIN is not important.

I thought you needed the VIN number and you would also get a schedule build date?

I do not have either.

I quess that is what I really want - date of build -

Do not really care when it si built either

I DO CARE WHEN I GET IT - which is the big question.

Thanks

ewingga

TJR... L:lol:L......

When I got ready to order mine, the first dealer said he could meet my

price but did not have any Sport Trac allocation left so he could not order it.

I went down the road and the order was placed the next Thursday and the VIN

was provided.

Still waiting.

:unsure:

Ordered a ST orange Frost too.:wub:

Ordered mid August as I waited to get a picture from a guy working at LAP before I ordered the color.Still havn't seen a real one!

My dealer tells me last week of September Firt October delivery.

Hopefully it is First of Oct, possibly better finance deals.

I see that in August explorer / ST sales were down 34%!!!:blink:

REPLY FROM MY DEALER- WILL NOT PRINT WHAT I WROTE BACK.

THIS IS AFTER 8 WEEKS FROM MY FIRST CONTACT WITH THIS DEALER.

THEY STATED I COULD HAVE ST IN APPROX 4 WEEKS - TOPS 6 WEEKS

BIL

Bill;

> We are finding out for the first time that Ford will not build this unit

> until our next allocation. We have already used all of our alloctions to

> date. The problem with this is that we do not have any indication as to when

> our next allocation will be granted. I can attempt to track a dealership

> that still has allocation, but our questioning at Ford has been

> discouraging.

SIGNED MY LOCAL FORD DEALER

Wow. I guess that explains Ford's troubles. I thought it was simply bad quality and not producing appealing cars. I didn't know that Ford was actively denying customers who want to buy vehicles.

"expletive" It figures. Congratulations on winning the race! I have yet to hear from my dealer. Supposedly they will be installing my Bluetooth kit and homelink mirror before I go get it. I don't have much confidence in that, though. What I DO have confidence is in the fact that now that you have gotten yours, mine CAN'T be far behind!! Remember, the first one to post pictures wins! That's not fair either considering me being an airline captain and all, I'm on a layover in BOS and can't get to my dealer until Saturday!!

I hope it's everything we've been exited about!!

jfire

Yowza... I ordered mine on July 25th and the build date was the 28th as well. Delivery is scheduled for next week.

Latest posts