Not Fuel pump?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I had my mechanic tow my '03 sport trac to his shop because the truck would'nt start.He changed the fuel pump,(said it was bad),I drove it all weeked.No problems till Monday a.m.I get up @ 5:30a.m. to warm it up and no start.Just sits and turns over.This sux! $560.00 and it still is'nt right.Any suggestions?I got rid of my '96 ranger with 190,000 miles to get something newer and more reliable.My sport trac has only 45,000 on it.Pretty pissed off.:cry:

Well, have you checked the triangle? Fuel, spark, air? If the fuel is good to go, its gotta be either air or spark.

Well, he seems to think that maybe ford gave us a faulty pump.Like I said ,he say's the old pump was bad.I've known this guy for years and he's very trustworthy.He worked for the local ford dealer for a few years before going out on his own.I'd rather give the money to him than the dealer.About the inertia switch,I did reset it and nothing happened.

When it comes to electrial. Anything is possible to be faulty...Including new that works at first.

To some degree, this is fairly easy, ESPECIALLY if it won't start.

Check for fuel pump pressure and spark. Unless there is a SERIOUS issue mechanically speaking (which I am sure you would have a clue if there was), it will be one of the two items. Yes, could also be an air issue, but the odds of being totally plugged off is low.

No fuel pressure, see if the fuel pump relay gets power when cranking, if so, then work back further, check the inertia switch when cranking, if power, then head back to the fuel pump and check when cranking...

This type of testing will isolate it out at least so you know what you are chasing to some degree.

Well, mechanic called back and said the pump he got from Ford was bad.He installed the new one and I guess everything is fine now.Hopefully , he tried all the things you stated above.The truck did this before and with a little fiddling around ,i was able to get it started.But not the last 2 times.It would just crank over and over.:btddhorse:

Latest posts