No more Twinkies???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
So thanks to unions Hostess is closing down. Too bad they can't just get rid of the union and hire unemployed workers that would love to work!

So looks like Cockroaches will be our only source of food after a Nuclear war:grin::throwup:

There are two unions in play. The Baker's union went on strike. The Teamsters Union, which represents the rest of the employees, was against the strike and said bad things might happen if they went ahead with the strike. The Baker's union didn't listen. So here we are.

Fortunately, someone will buy the brand and will more than likely carry on making the products.

I was never a big fan of Twinkies, but hate to see an American Icon business like Hostess go under. I hope all the unemployed bakers who sided with the baker's union enjoy standing in the unemployment line.

...Rich

Redfish,

I did like the Hostess cupcakes, Ding Dongs and Ho Ho's (anything with chocolate) on rare occasions....just not so much the Twinkies. But I was never big on sweets, even as a kid. Even with chocolate I prefer the Dark, or Semi-Sweet.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is gonna flip. :cry: Her comfort food is hostess white bread and PB. This is another sign of the apocalypse! Maybe those "doomsday preppers" are on to something. Bob :fire:

Stopped by the local Hostess/Wonder outlet shop over lunch. Was surprised to see they're still open. Employee said they're likely open until Sunday, maybe Monday, but not likely more than that.

Their shelves were quite empty. I was thinking it was because they hadn't gotten any shipments since the strike started. But I found out that wasn't the case--instead, it was because people were coming in and buying boxes upon boxes of Twinkies, Zingers, etc., to put into their sub-zero freezers, with the thought that they can someday share one of their childhood favorites with their children. No I'm not kidding.

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

The Teamsters Union, which represents the rest of the employees, was against the strike and said bad things might happen if they went ahead with the strike.

Wow, the Teamsters Union was involved in a deplorable workplace action and they weren't the most responsible party? I don't believe it. Even if it is true, it doesn't outweigh my personal experience with those [expletives] or their current threats to strike at the Baltimore Red Cross facilities, where they control those who draw the blood from patients. Talk about unethical. The Teamsters Union might not be the most despicable group of thugs in the US workplace today, but they're not far behind first.

Fortunately, someone will buy the brand and will more than likely carry on making the products.

I can only hope that Hostess will retain its property rights, ie: not sell them to someone else.

I'd like to see them go out with a grandiose display of a metaphorical middle finger to the unions, though sadly bakeries don't seem to lend themselves to that sort of thing, unlike Rand's oil wells.

Is this the "job and personal protection" that the union propagandists are always talking about? :banghead: Where are the "scabs"?

How will the Mormon church survive without Wonder Bread. Really a bad time for the LDS. Romney fails them, Petraeus fails them, Glenn Beck is never right, and now Wonder Bread.:cry:

Is this the "job and personal protection" that the union propagandists are always talking about

Kevin I agree this was not right on the unions part. To help crater the company.

Im a retired union worker. Here in Texas, we are an open state. My job protection was senoirity rights and not getting fired for no reason. That is all I wanted from it.

From 1951 to 2012. We only had a 2 month contract strike in '81. We worked with the company and met in the middle of the issue. We came back to work with 1/2 the pay we missed as a bonus.

All other contract disagreements. We always stayed on the job after the contract expired. Compromise was always made. I think the company apreciated us not being snobs.

I find that many northern unions are locked down, hard nosed. Very rare southern union plants have been that way. My attitude is. Even though Im a union member lets find that compromise and keep the plant running. We all make $$, that way.

The fact is the last 5 yrs on the job we made some compromises to keep working and keep the plant running. The teamsters and some other unions that originated in the north east. Would have walked out.

Not all union workers are A-holes. At least some of us that can read the economical times.

Last edited by a moderator:
The teamster that lost his job this week because he drove truck for Hostess is unemployed as far as the department of labor and its unemployment rate calcuations go. If he spends more than 4 not looking for a job, well, then he is still without a job, but he no longer counts as part of the unemployed ranks. Just call him retired, or purposefully absent from the labor market, etc, when that happens. :)

The teamster that lost his job this week because he drove truck for Hostess is unemployed as far as the department of labor and its unemployment rate calcuations go. If he spends more than 4 not looking for a job, well, then he is still without a job, but he no longer counts as part of the unemployed ranks.

You're telling me that the Teamsters Union won't use its clout to get that driver a new job within 4? I scarcely believe it. I'm going to guess that he'll have to pay dues to the teamsters while out of work?

We will never again have "Howdy Doody Time".

...and that's a bad thing?

I'm surprised that a certain ironic crusader against obesity, who currently resides in our White House, isn't taking all the credit for this.

Hey KL,

There was never anything wrong with Howdy Doody, Roy Rodgers, the Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, or Superman when I grew up........and nothing Obama says will ever change my opinion.:grin:

...Rich

Latest posts