No matter how tough or mean the dog is…..sometimes you have to teach them to just walk away

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kids were crying one day...only for me to find that they were afraid of 2 PB's that decided to station themselves on my front porch. They were barking and growling at my kids inside my house. In the time it took me to run upstairs to get my pistol, they left. I really wanted to kill those things...I know they'll be back...I will kill them.

No other dog has done that.

Regarding the nice pit bulls out there, I am certain that there were a few really nice Nazi Storm Troopers, but they were a bad GROUP of people. We couldn't take a chance with them either.

Pretty sure you will get fined, DiveTrac, if you just shoot those dogs or any dogs for that matter, just for sitting on your porch. Unless they attack or hurt your family, just let them be and they will go away. Why are people so quick to pick up a gun?

Well as long as we're showing vicious dogs, here's our rotweiler/doberman mix. You'd think with that combo he'd be mean, but he's the biggest 120lb baby in the world.

[Broken External Image]:

Let's just turn this into a show off your pets thread. This one is actuallyl the scarriest of our 5; once my little brother was playing on the lawn with a neighbors dog, and I guess she thought he was in danger cause she looked like a wolf at the front door, all teeth showing, barking her head off. Very protective.

[Broken External Image]:

Dan - Why are people so quick to pick up a gun? Becasue sometimes they are the BEST answer. What should he do, negotiate with the nice doggies? Call animal control and wait several hours, assuming their is animal control where he lives. Feed them?

Your kids inside the house with strange and agitated pitbulls on the porch? Do you have kids??

Dive - Is there a leash law where you live? If so, call animal control ONE time. If not, or the second time the sweet doggies come on your property, protect your kids and dare someone to charge you. I just hope the kids are in the house and you have time to react.

I love my dog. I control my dog. If she gets away from me and is killed it is MY fault and ONLY my fault. Also, if you dispose of the dogs with no witnesses, there can be no fines or charges. "Dogs? What dogs? I haven't seen any dogs".

Dale,

Sometimes the gun may be a better answer. But if you are just in the house, why shoot a dog or any animal because it is on the porch? Why not at least try and call animal control or the police, if it bothers you that bad. For your information, I do have a child and 2 dogs. You tell Dive to protect his kids and I agree 100%. Tell me one thing Dale, when was the last time a dog broke your front door down and bit you?

Dan - did you read my reply where I said to call animal control? People in rural areas and many unincorporated cities often do not have animal control. they have no one to call.

Dog doesn't have to break down the door, did you see where I mentioned the possibility of the kids being outside when the doggies show up?

I guess the answer to these two questions is" Uh, no". I guess you quit reading when you saw "Dive -"

You were the one that went off on the topic of kids being outside when dogs show up. That was not mentioned in his original post. He was refering to a situation where his kids were inside and there were dogs growling at them on the porch. Maybe you should re-read that post instead of trying to make excuses for something....

I will repeat - Did you read my reply where I said to call anmial control? Based on your reply the answer is "uh, no I didnt".

Excuses? I was simply asking if you read MY post. You know, the post that YOU responded too? I responded to the previous posts which I found provocative and expanded with information that might be related to the discussion. I asked you specific questions related to MY post. I guess it is against the rules to expand or deviate from the original post. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WARNING - TOPIC EXPANSION AHEAD!!!!

Let me pose another question. If the dogs are on his porch and there is no animal control or police response reasonably available, is he trapped inside? Keep in mind that the dogs were behaving aggressively (barking and growling) at the kids.

Another question - Does the dog actually have to have it's teeth on one of the kids befroe it is okay to shoot?

Another - When faced with a threatening situation, what would you do?

I asked about kids being outside because it is reasonable to take care of the problem BEFORE the kids are outside, which is a perfectly foreseeable circumstance. He would be an irresponsible parent to do otherwise.

Human intelligence allows us to respond to a situation in the present while considering the ramifications of that dangerous situation occuring in the future under different circumstances.

It also allows us to expand a discussion and expect people to follow it.

So, if or his kids were in his house and there were dogs on the porch, wouldn't it be a lot easier to just not go outside? In your mind, would it be a case of, "ME MAN, YOU ANIMAL" type thinking? I understand the fact that they may have felt "trapped" as you put it. There is probably more to the story as well as all of the other dog bite/attempted mauling stories, i.e. provoked by children, children hurting the animals so they got bit, etc. I did not respond to your sarcastic "Did you read my response about animal control" question. I figured it went without saying. If I was face with that situation, I would either try and scare the animal away and call animal control (it is their job to enforce stray animals) or I would just wait until the animal left. By all means, you can expand on a topic. Just don't go trying to compare what would happen when they are in the house, safe and sound versus what would happen if they were outside. Same thing applies to a human being. If a man were standing on your porch and you felt "threatened", do you shoot him? If you say yes, then you have just commited murder. You can say you were protecting your home all you want, but it is still murder. Now if this man was in your home, threatening you, then by all means, do what you have to do. If a man came upon your property threatening you and brandishing a weapon towards you, do what you need to do to protect yourself. I am sure this post was never meant to turn into a pissing contest. I guess this is just the American way. Everyone has their right to freedom of speech. Everyone is voicing their opinion and so am I.

Enough said

I did not respond to your sarcastic "Did you read my response about animal control" question. I figured it went without saying.

I suggested calling animal control, in the next post you replied "why not at least call animal control". I wasn't being sarcastic, rather asking a legitimate question because it appeared you didn't read the post to which you were responding.

By all means, you can expand on a topic. Just don't go trying to compare what would happen when they are in the house, safe and sound versus what would happen if they were outside.

I wasn't trying to compare the situations (kids inside v. kids outside), I was expanding. I was also making my point about intelligent decision making taking into account the future ramifications of the current decision, i.e. let the dogs live, risk my kid next week. Tell me, after you "scare off" the threatening animals, what would stop them from returning while the kids were playing outside after school and you were at work? How about walking home from the bus? Going to the mailbox? How many dangerous situations are you willing to put kids in knowing that there is threat in the neighborhood? Keep the kids inside at all times? Bodyguards? Silly? Absolutely, but not much more than hoping the doggies go away and don't bother the kids again. Would you treat a rattlesnake on the porch the same way?

If a man were standing on your porch and you felt "threatened", do you shoot him? If you say yes, then you have just commited murder.

Not if he is engaging in threatening behavior, as were the dogs. In most states, especially the mountain and southern states, a dangerous/unknown man (clearly analogous to the dogs) on a porch making threats is in danger of being shot and it is called "justifiable hiomicide", not murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, does that mean to go around your neighborhood and kill every dog, especially pit bulls, because you think they may one day mess with your kids? Like I said, freedom of speech and all that. Do we have to continue this pissing contest? You said how you felt and I have said how I felt. Time to move on to bigger and better topics....

If it's a pissing contest then I win; I managed to hit the street from our 3rd floor balcony last semester. Sounds easy but it's about 12ft out, and there's this rail in the way on the balcony too, hard to get over that.

Remind me to never let any of you wacko's near my dog.

I've got a pit bull. He will be a very large dog, already above average in size. Already strong enough at <6 months to hold him self up with his jaws. Is he mean? Not in the least bit. I've got a 5 year old nephew, and a year old nephew. The dog has played with, and been around, both. Did he ever try to attack them? Nope. Does that mean he never will? Nope. He's been around perfect strangers. Did he try to attack them? Nope. Does that mean he never will? Nope. Shoot, I've even got 4 chickens, small, they've gotten out of thier coup and the dog never tried to attack them. Why do I have one? Is it some "macho" or "bling-bling" thing, lol, not in the least bit. I got it because it was free, hard to pass him up. He's also got a more rare coloring with grey eyes and a blue nose.

I'll add to the discussion that before the pit bull, I also has a very large full grown male rotweiller, easily pushing 120 lbs of solid muscle. He too played with my 5 year old nephew and <1 year old nephew. Again, never once tried to attack either of them. In fact, he was more gentle with those two then any of the adults. He would really play hard with us, not so with the kids. This particular dog was also shot with a shotgun, lived, made a full recovery, and was none the meaner to show for it (note, that incident took place before we got him, he was still healing when we got him).

Does any of this mean that anything? Not really. I'm not naive enough to make assumptions of an entire breed based on my own experiences, there are good and bad of ANY breed. But if anyone ever shot, or tried to shot my dog, or hurt them in any way, you can expect both Johnny Law and redneck justice to be coming your way.

Post a reply with a new question and then lament a pissing contest. Pretty funny. It's called a debate, if you don't like it, stop posting and end it.

No, I only kill the dogs which show up on my porch barking and growling (threatening) at my kids.

Now that I have answered your question, I will pose no more new questions and the "pissing" contest can end.

JeffC - Enjoy it while you are young, yes, enjoy it while you are young. Enjoy the coeds at the Loveliest Village On The Plains, too. The girlies start heading downhill after graduation (so do we BTW), especially if you move too far away. Hoover High (assumption on my part) to Auburn may have spoiled you beyond redemption HAHAHAHA Are the Phi Mus still hot??

That looks like a BULL TERRIER, not a PIT BULL. Two very different breeds.

BTW... American Staffordshire Terrier, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, and an American Pit Bull Terrier.... all are interrelated...

Here's a clip from the web:

"This was the original "Bull-and-Terrier." Crossing the 19th century bulldog with the old English Terrier produced the modern Staffordshire Bull, which still looks very much like its bull/terrier ancestor. Upon arrival in the United States in the early 1800s, the breed was crossbred to become larger and taller. The results were the American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier. Those which remained in England retained their original form, and came to the United States about 1870, where they were recognized as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

During these early years, the Staff was bred and used for dog-fighting but, by the 1930s, the law had begun to make this activity disappear. Rather than see his beloved dogs vanish with their profession, fancier Joseph Dunn organized a club and worked to have this breed recognized by The Kennel Club of England. Another name besides Bull-and-Terrier had to be chosen (since the Bull Terrier had already assumed that one), so the locale of greatest interest, Staffordshire., was chosen as its dog tag.

After official acceptance in 1935, the breed's good qualities elevated these dogs to a position of popularity in their homeland, and they have retained that favor. Most Staffs brought to North America came after World War II. The breed was recognized in Canada in 1952, fol-lowed by American acceptance in 1974.

The basic difference between the Staff, AmS-taff and Pit Bull, other than size, is the fact that ear cropping is not allowed on the Staff. A folded-back "rose" or half-drop ear is required.

These dogs need activity to keep their hard-muscled physique and are happy to join their owners in jogging or other sports. Like similar breeds, they are devoted to their families, are gentle with children and accept other pets.

The Staff does require firm, consistent handling as a pup. With maturity, he is laid back, loves social contact and is a real "character." He can competently defend his own if necessary, and he knows it. Thus he rarely shows any bravura of snapping or snarling. He is quiet and calm—until needed."

Latest posts