No dark colored vehicles in California?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
Can this really be true?

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black.

What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

I call B.S., are they going to repaint all the politician's limo's white than or all of the police vehicles becuase most of them are mostly if not all black or dark colored.:wacko::wacko::lol::p

I heard about this yesterday. What a load of crap.:wacko:

I call B.S., are they going to repaint all the politician's limo's white than or all of the police vehicles becuase most of them are mostly if not all black or dark colored.

And let's not forget Hollywood.:p

After they outlaw dark paints on new vehicles, what's next? Going after existing dark vehicles? Say bye-bye to your Mustang, Bill Barber!:lol: And what happens if PrezBo comes to Cali? The entire Secret Service fleet of SUV's and limo's are black.:rolleyes:

California Cool Paints Initiative Ugly, Lazy

By Drew Winter

WardsAuto.com, Mar 24, 2009 11:41 AM

If California regulators get their way, auto makers may soon be forced to rewrite a clich from the Ford Model T era and start telling customers they can have any color they want as long as it isnt black.

Some darker hues will be available in place of black, but right now they are indentified internally at paint suppliers with names such as mud-puddle brown and are truly ugly substitutes for todays rich ebony hues

So buy a black car now, because soon they wont be available or will look so putrid you wont want one. And thats too bad, because paint suppliers say black is the second- or third-most popular vehicle color around the world.

The problem stems from a new cool paints initiative from the California Air Resources Board. CARB wants to mandate the phase-in of heat-reflecting paints on vehicle exteriors beginning with the 12 model year, with all colors meeting a 20% reflectivity requirement by the 16 model year.

Because about 17 other states tend to follow Californias regulatory lead, as many as 40% of the vehicles sold in the U.S. could be impacted by the proposed directive, suppliers say.

The measure is aimed at reducing carbon-dioxide emissions and improving fuel economy by keeping vehicles cooler on sunny days and decreasing the amount of time drivers use their air conditioners.

The rationale goes like this: Vehicle AC units sap engine power and hurt fuel economy. If vehicle paint and glass reflect more heat, car interiors will be cooler. That means drivers will use their AC units less, the compressors wont have to work as hard and auto makers will be able to use smaller AC units in the future.

Reflective coatings and glazing (glass) already have proven to save energy when used on buildings, and this legislation is based on architectural standards.

On the surface, its not a bad idea, but fundamental issues reveal profoundly flawed legislation: Buildings and vehicles are manufactured and recycled differently, and no one buys a building based on its color.

Another troublesome fact: Heat-reflecting paints for black and other dark colors on vehicles have not been invented yet.

Paint suppliers also say heat-reflecting pigments that could be used in automotive applications contain toxic heavy metals that cause environmental damage and create health and safety issues during manufacturing and recycling.

At least one auto maker estimates the additional cost of using these paints at $100 per car, not counting required changes to assembly plant painting systems, which could be significant.

So far, auto makers are holding their tongues on this subject, but automotive paint suppliers, such as PPG Industries, are tearing their hair out.

PPG obviously has a very large architectural division that paints lots of buildings, says Connie Poulsen, global director-product management, at PPG. The theory when (CARB) started this was you take the pigments used in buildings and put them into car paints. Thats a good theory; unfortunately it doesnt quite work that easily. Believe me, we tested it right away.

Requirements for color palettes are different, the process is different, the pigments used are different, Poulsen says, adding that new automotive paint systems also have to undergo two years of rigorous testing before being approved for production. Thats yet another item government bureaucrats never considered along with 3-year product lead times.

Some California rules are problematic because they are utopian and unworkable. This legislation is flat-out lazy. Its a cut-and-paste job from the state building code that ignores smarter, more-effective automotive solutions already in production or on the way, such as more efficient AC units and solar-powered ventilation fans that work automatically when a car is parked in the sun.

Struggling auto makers and suppliers must not be forced to waste their limited resources on the cool paints initiative, an ill-informed wasteful boondoggle that embarrasses the environmental movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at the report. Even CARB realizes parts of their plan will have adverse effects on fuel economy!

What about powder coatings?...Will potential increased film build increase vehicle weight?...What are process-line costs versus paint costs? What is the certainty of the estimate?...Proposal will limit the move to thinner lightweight glass needed for fuel economy

Another thing. How can a window reflect at least 30% of the solar spectrum and still allow at least 70% visibility?

I know my A/C didn't have to work as hard when I tinted my old car to California limit -- and California's limit stinks. Don't remember, but barely any tint.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens in the winter in northern cali when people are running their defrosters on high trying to heat their cars? Reverse of what they are trying to solve right?

Scientist have proved them wrong already. At least 25 years ago when the US was in the big Solar energy boom, manufacturers of Solar collector panels found that black was not the best color for absorbing hear from the sun. The best color was actually a dark green color.

But other than that flaw in their plan, the law is absolutely STUPID. Everytime I hear of one of these outragiously ignorant laws, I don't even have to read the article to know it was crack pot politician or goverment offical in California who came up with that worthless brain fart!

...Rich

But other than that flaw in their plan, the law is absolutely STUPID. Everytime I hear of one of these outragiously ignorant laws, I don't even have to read the article to know it was crack pot politician or goverment offical in California who came up with that worthless brain fart!

Richard, you said the magic word. California politician...:lol:

I have black sport trac and the climate in Arizona got super hot, but it didn't feel like it, inside the trac. the right legal tint helps a lot.

I swear, people mainly folks in the gov't have way too much time on their hands and clearly over think, as usual. Not to mention trying to take away freedom of choice.

and, why do law makers listen to California law makers, ...isn't that state one of the broke states? If they can't fix their own finances than why in the world should they be telling anyone what to do? :lol:

On window tinting, FWIW;

Last time I had my windows tinted they wanted to know if I was doing it for privacy or to reduce heat/UV into the truck. They said the lighter tint actually reflects more of the rays than the dark tint. Said the tint is made up of layers of metallic film and the "shaded" part of the film inhibits some of the reflection depending on the darkness chosen.

On window tinting, FWIW;

Last time I had my windows tinted they wanted to know if I was doing it for privacy or to reduce heat/UV into the truck. They said the lighter tint actually reflects more of the rays than the dark tint. Said the tint is made up of layers of metallic film and the "shaded" part of the film inhibits some of the reflection depending on the darkness chosen.

Which also screws up your cell phone and GPS signals. That is why I didn't opt for the metallic film.

Well it's been a while since I had any tinting done .... so there are options on tinting types now. I was thinking of having my van windows done soon. I'll have to research that statement. I do use an external GPS antenna and try not to yak while driving...........

With the external antenna you may be fine. I sit in my truck all day supervising, so talking on my phone while in the truck is a must have for me.

All this from the state that brought you....

Nancy Pelosi!!!!

This is right down her and Barbara Boxer's alley!

AND... The CARB also had legislation passed so now EVERY time you have your vehicle in for sevicing at certain types of service/repair facilities, they by law MUST check your tire pressure, because someone figures that IF everyone's tires were properly inflated, they MIGHT save a couple gallons of gas... Wonder how THAT'S going to affect the cost of service here in Kollyfornya? Once again, big brother goverment is getting involved in things where it doesn't belong...

Latest posts