no 4x4 Low

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S 3

Reaction score
I was out in the snow this morning and decided to give 4x4 low a try as it's been awhile. I did the old neutral + brake and low and behold no 4x4 low. I didn't hear the usual relay click either. Am I heading down the road for a new 4x4 module? Would it be covered under powertrain to have this looked at by the dealer?

Any help would be appreciated.

My factory warranty is over. All i have left is the 5yr / 100,000km powertrain warranty. I'm pretty sure the transfercase would be warrantied but i'm not sure about the module.

DOUBTFUL the module is covered then but you can try anyway. do a search for this on here, for some reason, I thought i read where if the module sticks or doesn't work, they "tapped" on it and it might free it up, but I could be way off base on this.

Lets see, 5 year/100,000 KM powertrain warranty.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the transfer case is part of the powertrain.

Does 4x4 high work?

Tom

4x4 High works without a beat. If I push 4 low nothing happens. I don't even get a flash. I know the transfer case is covered but I doubt the 4x4 module is.

I know the transfer case is covered but I doubt the 4x4 module is.

I am not sure the issue is the 4x4 module. I mean, 4x4 High works. That tells me the issue should be mechanical.

Tom

Well if it's the shift motor on the transfer case I'm no the hook as well. I'm pretty sure only the internals of the T-case are covered. I figured if it was the shift motor I would atleast get the 4low ligt flashing as it tries to engage.

my trac was making a whining noise, almost like a wheel bearing was going. Took it to my wife's cousins' shop wher he figured out it was the transfer case. They replaced the bearings and some other major components to the transfer case. Highbury Ford is usually pretty good to deal with. I've never had any issues with them.

Latest posts