Next problem/project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
I mentioned last week about the two codes(P0420/P0430) I'm getting for exhaust leaks from both manifolds. Well, while doing the struts, we looked and listened and determined that exhaust studs are broken on both banks.

The solution will be to put a set of BBK shorty tuned length headers(#1612, $270 from the parts bin) a set of high flow/spun Magnaflow cats( #54956, 2.5" dia., $76 from Jegs) A dual in/out muffler From Magnaflow(#12599, $114 from the parts bin) and two Magnaflow dual S/S exhaust tips(#35166, $92 each from Hot exhaust) Spoke to the Midas shop down the road to do the installation. No problem, 2 days is all he needs.

We're gonna bring 2.5" pipe from the headers, into the cats(will have to weld in 3 bungs for the O2 sensors(4 of them, 2 on each side). Then bring the pipes down together and go over the trans crossmember. Run to the rear into the muffler(this Magnaflow has a "tru-x perforated core, like an X/H pipe). Then run the two pipes out to the rear bumper. The exhaust tips are 2.25" inner diameter and will have to be stretched to make the outside diameter 2.5". All very doable, parts are inbound as we speak. Should have it done in about 2 weeks. This is another well planned idea of mine. This was done due a fellow owner, who had done a dual exhaust, but used two mufflers. Didn't like that(nice job though) This way is cleaner, still get a crossover and will sound much better than what I have now! Stat tuned, Bob

I wonder if the shorty headers would be a drop in replacement for those of us who don't want to change the entire exhaust system. After all I already took out the silencer and factory muffler with a Flowmaster series 50.

It should be, but the difference is the collector opening is 2.5". Our pipes are 2.25" I believe. Not sure if the two will fit together, but I will find out and get back to you. Bob

Bob,

You trust Midas to do that work?

We have 3 midas' shops in my area. None are worth a crap. They hire mechanics, that cant get a job elsewhere. Not only myself, but freinds, family and aqauntences, all have had complaints about all 3 midas. Anything from exhaust,brakes and mischelanious work. Most have had the problems fixed elsewhere. After the midas folks screwed it up.

Im not dissing you or your choice. Midas has a bad rep in my area.

In my area we have 2 independents that do, the best excellent custom exhaust work around. I just wish they had mandrel bending machines.

One shop I have used. One guy must have a ruler in his eyes,LOL. I have watched him bend 6 foot of pipe with 3 to 4 bends. It fits exactly where it should. It is amazing to watch him work.

Eddie, I have to apologize, its the Mineke shop down in Manahawkin, NJ. I just did a brain fart thing with that. These guys are really good. Like you said, I watched 'em doing a set up on a Corvette and it was bend and install. I trust them. Bob

Maybe now you can beat that blue adren........:rofl:

Todd Z

Ya know Todd, I love ya but you have to rub it in, don't ya??? No promises here, just have to wait until next season.

SVT, here in Jersey they do the OBDII plug in thing to look for any codes/history.. I'm not gonna take a chance with trying to run w/o the cats. Still waiting on the muffler and tips. Gotta do a front set of pads pronto, gettin' pretty thin. Bob

Those are direct oem replacement headers lol?

How the hell did you find those? I've been keeping an eye out for headers since I did the SC and have found nothing!

Bob you're like somekind of alien research machine.

well, 23 was our number - granted shoving 9psi through the factory cats restricts them a ton faster than naturally aspirated not to mention the heat. It's a boost thing would guess... give up the blower and the 103 octane - my gain might have been 5 as well.

Latest posts