Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently purchased a early production 2001 Sport Trac with 162,000 miles from Copart auction. The truck had been totaled by Nationwide insurance, so it has a salvaged title. No big deal having a salvaged title, here in NC it just means I have a couple of extra steps in getting it re-registered. While cleaning it up, i found some paperwork behind the glove box and was able to locate, via Facebook, the previous owners. I was able to find out from them that I am the fourth owner and that it had been a good truck for their 3 teen children, that is until their daughter rear ended another car and deployed the airbags. Other than the airbags, it only has minor damage to the bumper cover, the head light retaining clips were broken, the right front marker light lens was broken, the very front of the hood is bent very slightly, and the paint has some minor blemishes. So far I have not been able to find any signs that there is any structural or mechanical damage behind the bumper.

I work for UTI, and have friends in the Ford department who have helped me get the airbag issue resolved :) I was wondering if there would be certain known issues to keep my eyes open for while getting this thing back on the road and prepared to be my everyday driver?

When I figure out how to post a pic, I'll get one up. Thanks in advance for any advice. Looking forward to loving my new addition.

Welcome,

The gen 1 ( 2001-2005) had several issues. All depending on location.

Also if you know what motor it has ( 2001 had 2 different 4.0) ( job 1 and Job 2)

Body mounts, Rocker and fender rust, Hub bearings, Ball joints, Transmission issues due to valve body separator plate gasket failure, Radiators, Thermostat housing failures and other stuff.

Quick list.

Todd Z

It is a job 1 I believe, before they changed the intake and valve cover configuration. Just from what reading I have done, I am not actually sure of the build date. I haven't looked yet...lol. I had planned on checking out all suspension and steering components. The previous owner did tell me that they had the engine mounts replaced, and I think he said tie rod ends.... The truck has lived its whole life in inland SC and now it is in NC with me, so I haven't really seen any rust issues yet... I did notice that the coolant level is low when I was checking fluids, but it has been sitting in my driveway for a couple of weeks now and I have ran it up to operating temp a few times and I don't see any leaking. I haven't found any signs of any fluid leaks actually.

Job one easy way to tell is if the oil fill is on the drivers side. Passenger side is job 2.

Pressure test the system... if its the housing you may not see it leaking as it burns off. or its in the intake valley but the larger intake of the job1 prevents you seeing it.

Todd Z

Latest posts