Newbie needs help 2008

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter750

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm new here and looking for a bit of help with the 4x4low in my 2008 sport trac. I use low range all the time for getting up and down my steep driveway in the winter. So here's what happened. The 4x4 was Woking prefect up to this point. The other day i went to put my truck in 4 low, and the light on the button just stared blinking and i could hear clicking coming from behind glove box. It probably tried for a min to get it to lock in but with no luck. I managed to get up the driveway in 4 high. Got home, went to put it in 4 low and it locked in perfect. Next day, pushed the button and now there's no lights, no clicking, no nothing. I can press the 4 high button and it will light up on the dash but i don't hear any clicking but i do think it's locked in 4 high, but absolutely nothing is happening with the 4 low. Any ideas as to what would cause this?

Make sure your doing it right... there is a procedure and Going to 4 high first, then stop, foot on brake, Truck in neutral, then Push 4 low and see what happens.

Well then you have to change you t case fluid and test the motor and make sure it’s good and then replace the module.

Ok thanks I'll give it a try. Just out of curiosity, would the module not click at all or lights not blink on the button if the shift motor was the problem?

I can’t speak exactly on that beceause the system works in a funky way. But they do feed off each other.

Sooo. Just an update. After all day in the garage, replaced the module with no luck. Shift motor with no luck. Neutral sensor, no luck. Tested switches with no luck. Turns out up above the fuel filter there was a broken wire in the harness that got rubbed thru by the tank shield. What a bastard.

Sooo. Just an update. After all day in the garage, replaced the module with no luck. Shift motor with no luck. Neutral sensor, no luck. Tested switches with no luck. Turns out up above the fuel filter there was a broken wire in the harness that got rubbed thru by the tank shield. What a bastard.

Well glad you got it.

Latest posts