New Tranny or V8 swap??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
OK My tranny finally went to pot last week (89,000 miles) My choices are this: My mechanic will install another trans for 350+fluid and the trans shop wants 1600-1800 to completely rebuild my trans & add a shift kit. So altogether that comes out to roughly 2,000-2200 bucks.

OR if I want to find a "Donor car" he will put in a small block V8 (chevy or ford up to me) and trans for 1,000 plus approx. 600 in additional parts. I could find a 5.0 or a chevy 350 in a lot of different cars. For examle, I sold my son a 88 Lincoln Mark VII LSC that I bought for 500 bucks & it has a 5.0 H.O 4 bolt main with a real tight transmission---I might wish that I woulda kept it for this project! Anyhow if I could find a good deal on something for lets say 1,000 plus the labor= 2,000 plus the parts= 2600.00 for a complete V8 swap. So it's a rebuilt trans for 2200 or a V8 swap for 2600----What do you think? What do you think my used motor would be worth with 89K? The ST isnt my main transportation anymore so I can use it as my "Project". I already had the rear end gone through & 5.13s installed & the 8.8 should be able to handle a small block V8 easy enough.What do you all think?[Broken External Image]:

I think you are going to spend more than expected doing the v8 swap. However that would be SOOOoooo much cooler :p

It will definitly run more money for a V8 swap but come on...no contest! Find a decent 5.0 and the sky is the limit with aftermarket horsepower.

You could find a donor Cobra with a 4.6L 4 valve...much more power potential there (Kenne Bell makes a 2.8L blower for that engine now which can easily push 28 pounds of boost if you wanted it to)

Correct me if i'm wroing, but I was under the impression that the the 4.6L would not fit in the Trac because the engine bay is not wide enough.

The 4.6 won't fit, the heads are much too wide.

Ford calls the 302 CID a 5.0, although it is only 4.9L; the Chevy 305 is actually 5.0L. Usually a joke made on Ford's behalf by Chevy guys.

You'll spend more then you think you will on the conversion, there is alot of work involved, displacing parts of the firewall for example. Have not only a competent mechanic, but a welder whose welds you trust for a structural component of the vehicle.

I'd do the 302/C4 swap myself, why patch the transmission when it'll probably fail again? Replace it and the thing that drives it and be over with it.

MAJOR work going with the V8. First, getting it to fit. Second, the wiring issues will be large.

You will need every modules, complete wire harness, ways to mount the modules, mounting and protecting the ECM if it will not fit into the same area as the existing ECM, all the wiring to the tranny due to having an electronic speed sensor, make adjustments for the speedo as they will not simply connect nor will they read the same as well as the dash gauges due to resistance differences.

Can it be done, sure it can. Will it be easy and affordable, no...

A V8 seems like a huge investment. A mod only worthy if you're gonna hold onto that Trac for many many years. If money is not an object, go for it. If you want to be really unique, go for it. Otherwise, I'd just replace the tranny or look elsewhere (a different vehicle) for more power.

I agree with coatiejoe, the wiring issues will be a nightmare. Also consider the weight difference. It will effect the pressure put on the front end. Which ultimatly means you will have to make changes to your suspension. Its kind of the one thing you get solved and then that causes the next problem to pop up. Its probably a can do but at extreme time and cost plus fabrication...

A V8 swap would be very easy actually. You just have to make sure to have the right donor vehicle. ;) In particular, you need a 96-01 4 door Explorer with a 5.0 V8. With this motor, pretty much everything is bolt up. Everything from the back of the cab on a sport trac to the front of the frame is the same as a 4 door explorer (96-01). If you find a wrecked one, it should have everything you need. Everything should be bolt on, even the computer is in the same location so all you have to do is swap the engine/tranny harnesses. If you get a get a 99-01, even the emissions stuff should be the same and plug right up. The only thing you'll need is a driveshaft since the Trac has a longer wheel base. This is a far better (and probably cheaper) option then pulling a 5.0 out of something else and trying to make it fit.

Actually, the early Sport Trac's are built with an Explorer Sport front end which never had a V8 because none will fit (at least not any Ford V8's) Also, most states have laws about replacing engines in newer vehicles that are driven on the highways with older model engines.

Anyway, an older Ford 4.6 litre V8 would only give you a bout 30-35 extra HP. Not even worth the effort.

...Rich

But the Explorer Sport front end was the same as a 4 door Explorer front end. No, they never had a V8 Sport, but the front ends are still identical. Everything mounts in the same place and the horns on the frame that the engine mounts bolt to are the same. All the suspension and steering components are the same. The computer goes in the same place. I have two V8 4 door explorers and a 2002 Sport Trac. I have had the engine out of the Explorer and done enough work on the Sport Trac to know everything it the same. It will fit with minimal hassle, trust me.

As far as the extra horsepower gain, it would definitely be worth it, especially with his 37" tires. The 5.0l puts out a hell of a lot more torque at lower RPMs then the SOHC. That makes turning those big heavy tires over a lot easier. On top of that, the 4R70W tranny behind the 5.0L is bulletproof compared to the 5r55e. Since you'll have the motor out anyway, throw in a good cam, a set of headers, and get a chip and you'll be pushin' 280 horses with good torque and a hell of a lot better sounding exhaust IMO. Once you've got the swap done, the upgrade possibilities with the 5.0L are pretty much limitless.

One last thing, Tonka mentioned the 8.8 axle handling the extra power. This won't be a concern at all. The 8.8 can more then handle the extra power, especially since he stays on the street. There is a guy on ExplorerForum.com that has a V8 explorer pushin' over 500 horses and he still has the stock 8.8 and has had for quite a while.

Thanks for all the input everyone. We talked about some of the details today & I guess another item would be that we would change the ST to floor shift automatic while doing all the other stuff. I could even do a carberated engine if I want (it would be even cheaper) My other option is to (GASP) go with a Chevy powertrain like a 350/400 with a TH 350/400. It would probably depend more on what kind of donor car I could get a good deal on. Gotta remember that some of the old 350s didnt put out even as much horsepower as our V6s so I gotta be careful on what engine I get. I'd really like to get something that already has some guts to it like maybe a cam, headers, intake etc. Mr. Mechanic says a Chevy swap would be easier for him & that the Chevy smallblock is actually a little smaller in size then a Ford 5.0 so it would be easier to fab in. Also performance parts are easy to get and usually cheaper then the 302. Like he said though, I might want to stay all Ford if I ever plan to sell it---I told him that the ST is our "toy" now & my project vehicle and I plan on having it for quite a few years yet. His comment was that by the time I get ready to sell it people would just think it was so cool to have a ST with a (semi) hi-performance V8 & a good tranny that they wouldnt care if it was ford, chevy, whatever. I kinda agree cause it's a kinda weird ol truck anyway :)

This guy has done V8 swaps in about any kind of vehicle you can imagine & is real good at his work--He truely wants to do this not only for the cash but he thinks it would a fun challenge. The whole dillema is that now since the trans is cooked it would be around 2 grand just to get it drivable and then I just have the same weak trans that is reknowned for failure. Even the transmission shop says that the 5R55E is a poor excuse for a transmission for Ford. So 2 grand for same trans or maybe 3 grand for a V8 & stronger trans (if I find a donor car for around a grand) Hmmm then add a tunnel ram, some nice rumbling exhaust------:):):) Anyways, enough daydreamin' Thanks again on all the advice folks, I appreciate it.

Brad,

Sorry, but the Explorer Sport had a very different and distinct frontend. It was not the same as the 4-door Explorer. Regardless of where the mounts are, the Sport and Sport Trac will not accept a V8. That is what the engineers told us a the Louisville plant for serveral years until the new 2007 Sport Trac changed over to the new Explorer chassis and body style.

...Rich

Got my donor today. We're using a Chevy 350 small block 4 bolt main 4 barrell hooked up to a TH400 trans. The motor has been rebuilt and sounds solid & the transmission shifts perfectly. I still need to buy a floor shifter for it & of course a custom driveshaft etc. I also have headers for the engine. Now the fabrication begins.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts