New Torrie tune and K&N CAI trips report

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
Just got finished running about 500 miles with my new K&N CAI along with Torrie's new tunes for my SCT tuner. Loved both items. I averaged about 20.5 mpg in a combined trip down to Charlotte to the new Nascar Hall of Fame, and up to West Virginia to see family. I know one thing for sure, with my cruise control on, my OD is difinitely staying engaged more than it use to, even with the bigger tires I now have, 265/65-18 which are about 1'' bigger in diamater, one would not think the 1'' would make much difference, but it does, about 5% with the speedo, even the smallest hills here in NC made the tranny go out of OD, but now that does not happen as much. My only complaint with the tune happened when on I-77 going up one of the mountains when one comes to a reduce speed area and the tranny would not be in OD due to going up a steep mountain, I would kick the cruise off to slow down and when the tranny would shift back into OD you could feel a harsh bump, simular to the problem with this tranny when slowing before the TSB. Otherwise I love my new Cai and Torries tune. I have contacted Torrie to see if the bump problem can be corrected, I do not know if any other of you guys and gals have had this problem or not, but hopefully Torrie can correct it.

I asked Torrie about the bump issue and he told me that without experiencing it for himself, he doesn't know how to properly diagnose it . . . I don't have any plans to drive to Florida any time soon, so I'm just having to live with the bumps. He has sent me a couple of tweaked tunes, but the bump is still there. He also told me that, no one other than me, has complained about the bumps after loading his tunes.

The funny thing is that with Ford's latest TSB for the tranny, the bump was eliminated for months, but once I loaded Torrie's tune it returned in full force.

The tranny "bump" is definately still there. My question would be to Torrie, "Can the downshift pattern be altered to downshift into 1st gear occur sooner?" It happens now at just around 2-5mph when coming to a stop, giving the dreaded bump. If a bit sooner, we wouldn't feel it as much. Its not a valve pressure thing, just that bang right when you come to a complete stop. JMHO, BC

I am not experiencing the bump during down shifts, only up shifts while slowing down, such as going into 6th after climbing a hill and slowing at the top due to speed limit changes. Even on the gas the shifts are very firm.

We have no more tranny bump after loading Torries tune, so i dont know what the difference could be. If shifts firmer now, but wouldnt be considered a bump.

There is a special model Xcal that can adjust the tranny, do you have the right one ???

IS the tranny still learning ?

Todd Z

The one I have is suppose to be the newest edition that Torrie can control the tranny with. Torrie is presently working on the problem. As far as the tranny still learning....??????????

Latest posts