New tires trigger abs light?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Armour

Reaction score
I had a set of new tires installed yesterday, I went with a little larger custom 17" wheels and a new set of tires.

When I left, the ABS light came on. I took it back to the shop and the poked around for a bit and couldn't find anything wrong.

The tech said that because the tires were a little larger, the ABS system had to relearn the wheel size.

They made an appointment at a garage they use to have the truck checked out to investigate/repair anything they may have done.

But when they gave me my truck back, the light was out and stayed out. I drove it a bit last night and the light never came back on.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

I went bigger, a lot bigger, and did not experience that.

I hate it when service people make up things to tell the customer because they don't know...why not just say that they don't know.

There is no such thing as the abs having to relearn the tire size. I don't know what they could have done to cause the light to come on by just removing and installing the tires but if it continues to stay off then I don't think that I would worry about it.

It seemed odd. I had them do a 4 wheel alignment along with the tires. I kind of wonder of they messed up a wire and reconnected it when I brought it back.

Its just odd. I'm happy the light is out. Just wondering what might have caused it.

@Gavin

I thought the same thing, but no. It lights at the 'on' position.

@yardsale

There was some adjustment, he told me and showed me the difference on a sheet, but at them moment I don't recall what it was.

I went back for my 25 mile required 'lug nut tightening/check' and the light came back on afterwards. I got it to an autozone to have them read it ad it came up as a C1155. left front speed sensor.

It went back off when I restarted it after checking it.

Its very odd.

If your rear axle was somehow out of alignment, the fix requires going to a frame shop. I don't think you should give this shop any more of your business.

I agree with those who said Tire size has not bearing on the ABS...unless they mixed tire sizes on your truck? ABS only measures the revolutions of each wheel and determines if any wheel is not moving at the same speed and quickly pumps the brakes to stop a wheel from skidding.

I suspect that they may have knocked an ABS sensor out of alignment when they mounted the tires.

Of course the easiest way to test the ABS fault light is to turn on the ignition before you start the engine...all of your Check lights should be illuminated. That is the test that would indicate if anyone disconnected a check light just to give you a false sense of security.

...Rich

...check &/or replace the 50 amp fuse under hood. If that doesn't work then clean the sensor (buds) that are on the spindles to remove all the brake dust,road grime build-up like I did to get mine working again. I had to remove my front rotors to access them.(pain in the ars).:supercool:

CHECK the wiring, and stuff for that sensor..... They either hit something or broke the wire. you can easily see it.

IF not the only other thing is the offset on the rim, or wider tire is torquing the hub and knocking the sensor aout of wack. Or you have bad bearings.

Todd Z

I just wanted to close out this thread, old as it is, with an answer.

I believe it was a corrosion issue in the connector.

I replaced both front hubs today, and the drivers side connector was all green inside the female half on one wire.

I had the abs activate on a slow stop one day and pulled the fuse until I could get to it.

The passenger hub needed to be swapped to pass inspection, and with the abs issues, I felt a lot more comfortable with doing both than just one.

In went a couple new Moog hubs and the fuse and it seems to be riding well.

Latest posts