New tires! I need help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Gagala

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so after approx. 10000km i'm in the market for new tires - personally there are way too many choices.

I'm looking at these and reading alot of reviews:

1 - Goodyear Eagle GT

2 - Yohohama Parada Spec-X

3 - Goodyear Triple Tread

Could you guys please share your thoughts and experience with (all season tires) i live in Ontario the winter knows to be a bit harsh here. So i need something that will do "ok" in snow.

Thanks - mario

I live in northeast Iowa and have to deal with the snow, hills, gravel and highway. I would recommend the Firestone Destination AT. I LOVE these tires. I have put on 10,000+ mile and they still look new. They work great in every road condition I have driven in.

I am in ontario Mississauga and have the Goodyear Triple Tread . Payed 520 dollers out the door for 2 from a Goodyear dealer. No problems so far. If I were north of Barie I would consider snows .

I'm in Timmins Ontario - we get far more snow here than you'll ever get!!! As an avid hunter, I spend a pile of time off road (gravel, logging trails, clay, and sand). I commute 70KM to and from work (highway driving) daily.

I bought a set of the Hankook Dynapro AT/M in a 265/75/16. They did rub a little in the back, but otherwise they fit well (I trimmed up the plastic inner fenderwells about a half inch to accomodate) - I've put over 30,000KM on the tires since I got them, with no balance or wear issues. They handle the snow exceptionally well, mud/sand/clay exceptionally well, ice reasonable well (they are an all season tire, so will will perform less spectacularly on ice than a winter tire), and have good road manners otherwise.

My last set was the Yokohama Geolander A/T's, which also were a great tire - overall they did perform a little less than the Hankooks in all situations but one: The Yokohamas were better in deep slush (3 inches or more of wet snow/slush). I had to rotate the yoko's a bit more often, as they did tend to "cup" a bit worse than the Hankooks.

Hope this helps a little.

Mario,

Nobody can pick your tires for you. You have to make that decision as to the type of driving you do and where you drive. Tires that are great in the snow or off-road may not give you the smooth quiet ride on the highway, and they may have very poor traction on wet pavement.

Tires that are smooth and quiet on the road and have great wet or icy pavement traction may be all but worthless in the snow or off-road.

The choice of tires you listed all appear to be highway tires with good wet or dry weather traction, but useless in snow or off-road.

Go to Tire Rack online and they will give you all the specs and reviews on all the tires they personally test. Their tests appear to be unbiased and accurate. Once you find the tire that best meets your driving situation, you can buy tbem locally or order them from Tire Rack....Whichever gives you the best price.

...Rich

Hard to beat the Michellin LTX M/S. Of course I am in the Southern states so we do not get quite the snowfall that you may see, rarely more than 6 inches in anygiven snowfall event.

Marie,

I had the Michelin LTX MS on my 01 and my 03 for nearly 200,000 miles. I lived in NW North Dakota (Williston to be exact) and they were possible the best all around tires I have ever had. They were great in the snow. My 08 had 18" tires so the LTX was not a choice. I replaced the tires on my 08 with a Yokohama when the (^(tty Michelin Cross Terrains were wore out at 25k miles. The Yokohama tire was ok on dry surfaces, but they were not worth a damn in the snow. My 2010 Adrenalin has Perilli tires, but they did not wear worth a dam. Just my opinion.

Rod

I will support the Michelin ltx m/s as well I have nearly 90,000 miles on mine and still have tread (yeah really) and they were AWESOME in the snow and wet weather. Also it gave the trac a nice quiet ride :)

I have studded Cooper generics on for winter and these for summer, also, I'm a 2WD in New England, but I know how to drive so it's not an issue for me. I used to run these all year on my Ranger 4x4 and I never had an issue.

[Broken External Image]:

LOL well I run Dunlop Extreme Attitude M/T 35X12.5X16 I take the off-road option whenever I can!! Love these tires off-road and I live in Saskatchewan, Canada LOTS of snow and mud in spring.:supercool:

Everyone thinks the tires they currently have are the greatest ever and the previous ones they replaced were the worst. Just my opinion from what I have gathered from the thousands of "tires" threads.

Everyone thinks the tires they currently have are the greatest ever and the previous ones they replaced were the worst. Just my opinion from what I have gathered from the thousands of "tires" threads.
:soap:

Hugh,

I agree with you 100%. :supercool:

It's kind of like asking "Who makes the best Pizza, or the best Beer or the best wine". Different strokes fo different folks.

That's why I don't recommend specific brands of tires because everyone has an opinion about tires, and the last brand they bought are always the best. That's exactly why I say "Nobody can pick your tires for you because, Only you know what you expect from your tires based on your driving conditions".

Personally, I never had the need to drive off road and we don't get enough snow in Central Texas to require any kind of aggresive tread. I prefer tires that give a smooth quiet highway ride and have excellent wet weather traction. I have also had a lot of good tires from Goodyear tires, and I had terrible experiences with General tires. But that is just me, and does not mean someone might have just the opposite experiences.

...Rich

Michelin LTX are great in the snow. I routinely drive through 14" of snow without any spinning (in 4x4). Great on ice and sleet, too.

I've got BFG's Long trail TA, and they are not anything I'd write home about. seem better for a dry (or at least no snow) climate. In slush they are frankly scarey, and ice, your knuckles are white even in 4x4. I hate to get rid of them as they are nearly new and are a 65k mile tire... I guess the best I can do is prevent someone else from making that decision...

Latest posts