New Speaker Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Morrow

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my front and rear door speakers with something new and upgraded other than stock. I'm not planning on changing my stock head unit. What do you guys recommend for the best sound quality at a decent price?

To my knowledge, your only gonna get as much wattage to your speakers as what your head unit is putting out. but i have a friend with a ST who got sony explodes and they sounded pretty good. better than my stock ones. your best bet is to purchase one of the OEM subwoofer that are for sale on the Swap and Sell board. I think theres about three members that are selling theirs. id say a good price for them would be 75-100. they will be a plug and play so you wont have to worry about wiring.

i have an older four channel amp sitting around in my garage somewhere. Can I hook this up to the stock radio to power new door speakers?

i dont think you could hook the amp to a stock heaunit. if you could then a line level converter would be required. but im not so sure on this one. i know you can splice some wires running from your amp to your speakers

you can, but if i remember correctly the stock radio does not have any rca preouts for an amp you would need a line out converter that would allow you too hook up an amp to it after you tap it to either the front or back speakers

xero is correct. With a stock head unit, a line out converter or an amp that has hi level inputs is required.

I've been looking at a pair of infinity reference speakers. I think I may pick these up and try them without any upgrades, If I'm happy I'll leave it alone, if not I may try and hook up the amp to them. anyone have any experience with these speakers?

i was right. a line out converter is required. i hooked up a buddy of mines system to his factory unit so i did have to use the line out converter. he had subs with his amp so i wasnt so sure if this applied to you as well.

but basically your amp will need to have the RCA inputs, as well as speaker level or high level inputs. most amps will have a high level input on the side, but some do not. a high level input will allow you to tap into the signal from stock deck output, and hook directly into the amp. this is the easiest way, but will often give the worst sound quality of the options I give you. a Line Out Converter will allow you to tap into the signal at the back of the radio, and convert the signal to a low level or RCA output. By doing this you will help to reject some of the noise that would be picked up between the stock radio and stock speaker.

All the power wires to the amp will be ran the same with the exception of the remote turn on wire. +12v constant will still go to the battery(properly fused with 12" of the battery!), and the ground will still go to the chassis. You can hook the remote turn on to the +12v ignition wire behind the radio, or the equivilent fuse in the fuse box. I would not recomend hooking it up to the pwr ant wire on the stock deck as it often goes off when the radio is off, or cd is playing.

check out crutchfield if you tell them what car you have they tell you what will fit and will give you plug and play adapters for your wiring so all you have to do is plug it in i did the speakers first and used the stock radio for a while until i got an ipod for my birthday i changed the deck so i could charge it while i listen i did run infinities on my focus there were nice

Alphine R series components up front and 6x8s in the rear doors powered by a 4 channel Alphine Amp...Sounds freaking great!! I use www.sonicelectronix.com or BestBuy for all my stereo needs! Also Bestbuy will price match this site as well..

I installed MTX 3 ways in each door..... sounds awesome to me..... and those that have heard it love it...

Todd Z

I installed 4 Alpine type R's with a 600 watt Alpine amp. I used the high level inputs and also used the low level out on the amp to a 400 watt for a 12" pioneer shallow sub under passenger rear seat. Sound is great. Can't wait until I upgrade :banghead:my head unit with a double din. :supercool:

Anybody know if there is an aftermarket head unit I can get that still uses the steering wheel controls? I like the steering wheel controls. I REALLY like them. Otherwise, I'll just get new speakers too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny if you search on crutchfield you can limit your search to head units that will allow factory steering wheel control, it usually requires purchasing an add-on accessory though beyond just the head unit.

well my new speakers are coming tomorrow and I havent taken off the door panels on a sport trac before. any pointers before I go at this tomorrow?

cant remember which on but you will need either a 6, 7 or 8 mm socket and extension for the doors , there are two screws on the bottom of the door that need to come out first those are the easy ones then on the part of the door you pull to open it on the front of it that panel comes off you can pry it with a screw driver to get access to 2 screws there also the handle that is right beneath it has another panel that comes out and 2 more screws there here are pics of the take apart for the back and front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/xero2099/IMG_20110308_225946.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/xero2099/IMG_20110308_225940.jpg

Latest posts