New plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
New spark plugs this morning. Got the same NGK Iridiums that I had before. This is what they look like after 67,000 miles. Not bad except for the gaps being opened up to .065 to .070. Should be .052 to .056. Also they were SOB's to get out. At the time I put them in, anti-seize was all the rage here but later it fell out of favor. They weren't locked in there but they were tight all the way out and now I'm a hot sweaty mess. Makes me wonder if that was from the anti-seize. I have a Gen 2 but like a Gen 1 (I've owned both) the right side is much easier if you take the wheel off and reach in through the fenderwell. I took out the old ones from the top but put the new ones in through the fenderwell. Did not use anti-seize on the new plugs. Daddy wants an air ratchet for Father's Day.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought iridiums were suposed to be better, about the gap not changing. Only the core of the electrode would weaken in service life.

If that is not true. I would not pay the extra $$ and just use the double plats.

I still use anti-sieze on plugs. I use the high temp copper type though. You have to get it from places that sell equipment and wiring for high voltage service. It is used on connections to stop corrosion.

Any plug as it ages will wear period......

I use double plat always and anti-seize......

Todd Z

There was anti-seize on the plugs I took out so I figure there is still some in the heads too. Lord willing, I won't still be driving this truck the next time it needs plugs. :grin:

platinums don't wear the center electrode but the sides do. Copper plugs gives the larger spark but plugs gap will widen quicker. Change more often is better - 60k or so with copper IMHO

Latest posts