New Owner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am picking up a used 2005 ST in a few hours from a local Ford dealer. The price was right and the vehicle appears to be well maintained. It is a 4WD model with <30k. Any and all advice on things I should target / investigate / inspect prior to signing the papers is greatly appreciated.

Congrats and welcome!

I don't really have anything in particular to check out prior to your purchase. I've almost always bought used and have had alot of luck so far. Hopefully, you will to:cool:

And make sure we get to see some pictures when you get it home;)

I would check for hesitation in shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. Also check for leaking fluids on the front differential. I had both problems with mine, and they are quite common.

Check to make sure you have enough left over to pay for the "mod fever" you will get shortly after the purchase....

Welcome to the site i hope you like your ST I have owned mine for 2 Years and i love it..... I got mine used as well and i have had no problems with mine so far SO GOOD LUCK!!!!!:):)

Welcome to the site. I have a 2002 and just turned 100,000 miles. My only regret is I only found out about this site a month or so ago.

Welcome Mike. Glad to see another Kentucky member. I am from Henderson, Ky. I have a 2001 ST that I bought new in July 2000, but I didn't find this site till 2003. Here you find a lot of great people, help and information on the ST, where to get parts cheaper and a lot more. If you can make it, there is the meet in Louisville, Ky Father's Day weekend. My grandson and I went for the first time in 2006 and loved it. I haven't signed up yet but I hope to in the next few days. My ST doesn't look as good as it was in 2006. I had a small wreck last year and fixed everything except replacing the front brush guard. I would like to trade for a new ST and didn't see buying a new brush guard. I have 67,000 miles on mine and the only problem I was the 4x4 switch went out. Post some pictures when you can.

Congrats and welcome to the best ST website !!!!!

Todd Z

Thanks so much for all the replies. Unlike many members I found this site before my purchase. Call me Ky Lake Lurker if you please. The gracious welcome and suggestions are overwhelming. Reaffirms my faith that there are more good people than bad in this world.

Anyway picked up the ST this afternoon. As most can attest, driving is the thing. Accordingly I just arrived home. Too dark for pictures but if the weather holds I'll post some tomorrow. Surprised how nice and quite the ride seems even with the Crap Years (for you Gavin). I couldn't sleep last evening in anticipation and perused this site for hours. So much good information and excellent ideas.

Thanks for welcoming me into this wonderful community. Please be patient as I test the newbie waters.

KY,,The GY RTS tires will ride smooth. They are teribly slipery in the rain and wear unevenly. As you said you have been looking at the site already. So definitly get you a good set of shocks. You will be amazed at the ride and control difference. We like to tell folks that the factory shocks were worn out when installed.:lol:

Welcome! We have a National ST meet coming up. And it's in KY! You should come and show it off! Congrats on your new to you ride!