New Legislation to help new car buyers!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryW Gilliland

Reaction score
Congress Wants To Put YOU Behind The Wheel Of A New Car

By Richard Read February 5th, 2009

Yesterday, with a vote of 71-26, the U.S. Senate passed new legislation allowing new car buyers to deduct auto taxes and interest on car loans on their federal tax returns. The bill was sponsored by Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) and is expected to cost the feds $11 billion over ten years.

In essence, the law offers the same tax benefits to new car buyers as those enjoyed by homeowners, who deduct mortgage interest on their returns. (Used car fans: no help for you yet.) Buyers don't have to itemize their deductions to take the write-off, so EZ filers, it's your lucky day. We should point out, however, that not everyone is eligible for the plan: if you earn more than $125,000, or $250,000 as a married couple filing jointly, you may be SOL. Sorry.

Even niftier, the law is slightly retroactive, applying to new cars bought since November 12, 2008--back in the heady, early bailout days. The deal runs throughout the 2009 calendar year, so make your buy prior to December 31. Just remember: the interest/sales tax deduction break applies to the first $49,500 of the car's price. So, you know, don't get starry-eyed about driving that tax-free Lambo just yet.

:)

I think gary ment the Big 3.... :unsure::unsure:

Todd Z

is it really going to make a difference? reducing your income by $500 a year will only net about a $100 difference in your taxes.. even the $15K credit for buying a house will only net about a $3K difference.. i don't think $3000 is enough incentive to buy a house and $100 a year to buy a car is no different.. it sounds so much better on paper..

is it really going to make a difference? reducing your income by $500 a year will only net about a $100 difference in your taxes.. even the $15K credit for buying a house will only net about a $3K difference.. i don't think $3000 is enough incentive to buy a house and $100 a year to buy a car is no different.. it sounds so much better on paper..

A credit is exactly that, it is worth a savings of $15000. A deduction will net the approx $3000 you mention.

Credits are great, deductions are OK.

This reminds of when credit card interest was tax deductible at one time also.

Interest on car loans was deductible too, I used to take that until around the late 80's.

Then they took away a lot of deductions BUT lowered everyone's tax rate significantly, so I came out ahead.

Latest posts