New Fram Oil Filter Good for 15,000 miles.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I was at WalMarts yesterday picking up some Mobil 1 and some food for the cats. I saw that they are carrying a new Fram ULTRA Oil filter that is advertised as trapping 99% of the dirt per SAE, and it was supposed to be good for 15,000 miles. The box looks a lot like the "Extended Guard" model, and it was something like $8.

Although I quit using Fram filters years ago, I picked one up just to try it out. Might beat saving the $13 they get for Mobil1 filters around here. Gotta cut back a bit in this horrid economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The key to long oil change intervals is synthic oil and a quality filter to keep the oil clean....I don't trust Fram to do that. Part of the problem happend about 10 years ago when Fram oil filters were claimed to be counterfitted in Mexico...and it was never mentioned if that problem was ever resolved. Many people who thought that Fram made a quality filter suddenly experienced a lot of engine failures cause by the Fram filter and bypass valve. That's when it was claimed that these filters were countfits and not made by Fram...according to Fram?

....Rich

Oh, I understand their problems and reputation. Seems they would want to distance themselves from that, and remake their filters with new marketing, etc. With the Internet, the issues are widely known.

Maybe the innovation is that the by-pass valve works now.

So that you still get some (dirty) oil after the media gets clogged up.

Dont know about the top level frams. The 2 bottom line oil filters have a card board end cap. Epoxied to the filter media. Im not going to trust card board. Unless you are going go full syn and long milage changes. Just go with motorcraft. Usualy only a dollar more.

Mobil1 and K&N filters are the only two I know about that have a synthetic filter media that is much more efficient as its pore size is very consistent. Don't know about the Amsoil filters. Maybe Vic can enlighten us....Bob

I have a oil/filter DIY posted in the Projects section. The AMSOIL EA oil filter is the highest-quality oil filter available, and has a service life of one year/25,000 miles (filters with product code EAO). It pairs great with AMSOIL's XL and Signature Series oils. For shorter change intervals (say 5K) I recommend the OE oil paired with a high quality main-tier oil filter like WIX. FYI, WIX manufactures the NAPA Gold series filters. There's pricing info for all of this in my DIY. Please contact me directly if you have any questions.