new exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Hightshue

Reaction score
Well I got my exhaust installed and very reasonable too. Flowmaster delta 40 with dual turnouts (2-1/4) just before the rear passenger tire. Will have pics up as soon as batteries get charged.

Heres where it becomes a bummer.

Looks and sounds great when idling or just gettin on it. Around town it also sounds good, but I do half of my driving on the highway, and at highway speeds of 55 and above its just flat out annoying:angry: the constant low resonation in the cab is enough to make me rip it off and go back to stock. any ideas to remedy this?

What if I run the tips back to the original exit point behind the rear tire?

Flowmaster is also pushed back as far as I could for the current exit.

I would like to keep the sound just get the highway resonation away from me

Thanks for any input

That's strange mine is not loud at all in the cab, and my setup sounds the same except my flowmaster is single in and single out.

where is the muffler located??

if they installed it close to the front cat, thats the problem...

you have to install the muffler as far back as possible...and with the side exit, that may be a hard thing to do..

Could switch the muffler out for a SUV50 and get rid of the delta 40...

the 40 is a loud muffler...

Here is my suv50 located about as far back as you can go... I think with me only having 1 cat left on the truck the exhaust is about ads loud as it is going to get aside from removing the muffler completly...

I located the muffler as you can see below...

I have no resonance in the cab at all, just some exhaust loudness with the windows open and any time at WOT...

I can cruise on the highway and have a normal conversation even with the radio on a little too...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim - I have the gibson cat back that exits where the stock one did. I get the resonation in the cab in the 20 - 40 mph range that you get used to after a while. Highway speeds it is fine. I don't know if moving the exit further back will help.

sounds like it is the lack of tail pipes, can take off the side exhaust and go out the back...

tail pipes change the sound drastically..

Todd Z

go ahead..

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. It is probably the exits. Run them further out the back. Most of my sound comes out the back of my ST at the tips. If they were closer to the cab, it would be louder inside the cab.;)

I have the standard 40 series which is louder than the delta 40. With stock pipes and exit, the in-cabin noise level is very, very tolerable, at all rpms and speeds.

Jim I recently put a flowmaster 40 series on my trac single in/out with the stock pipe coming out the side... it sounds okay. but only okay. its loud but no real growl.. ARGH what a waste of 150 bucks... I am going to have to go back out and buy a new muffler-- maybe a 30 series or something a little less than the forty series single in/double out and i want it to come out the side like yours... It sucks screwin up but... it happens

I have the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow (single in/single out) and it sounds great at all speeds on the ST. 'Course, everyone has a particular sound in mind, so it's hard to say what might work for someone else. I had my exhaust done at a well known custom exhaust shop in the Sacramento, CA area, Marco Muffler. I went in with the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow in mind, and that is exactly what they recommeded for the ST. They did not recommend a single in/dual out system, but I know several members here have gone that route and are happy.

Latest posts