New driveway! Joyous!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Ripped up the 20 year old blacktop and found a foot of good gravel. Just had to take out four inches of it and frame it up. Rebar and mesh and tamping tomorrow.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell the driver to mix it loose, don't plan on going out dancing the night you pour it, and watch the neighbors kids. That's all the help I can offer. We will need after pictures. Looks good so far.y

Don't go too wet of a slump or it will shrink and crack, Plenty of expansion joints, and WET cure it good !!!

ALSO run a few pipe sleeves under it encase you want sprinklers, or electric or something later on !!!!

Just saying...

Todd Z

I dont know much about black top. We use concrete here.

Unless it is an optical illusion. That looks as large as my front yard.....

That driveway looks fairly large to my eyes as well. It also looks like a square to me, which is odd as I hail from an area where driveways are long and narrow lol.

I think I've seen houses about that size :grin:

So are you redoing the driveway with blacktop again? I ask because, not being even remotely close to an expert in this, I haven't heard of putting rebar in that.

So are you redoing the driveway with blacktop again?

Concrete. Tamped it out today and started laying down 2" XPS foam.

[Broken External Image]:

Also beware of chemicals like wheel, tire, and break cleaners. From my experience they remove some kind of dye that's used in the cement. The discoloration is noticeable when the driveway has been wet, like on a rainy day. Driveway looks fine during the day, but when wet, looks all splotchy. Just a head's up.

What does the foam do? I haven't seen that around here- except some commercial projects get 2" foam around the outside foundation walls for insulation purposes.

Thanks for the pics! Looks like nice work to me!

After a day off due to rain yesterday, today we got the first concrete poured.

[Broken External Image]:

So 4 garages belonging to 4 separate households, all contiguous? I can't say that I've ever encountered something like that before.

Say, why is the array of garages so far back from the road? That driveway looks like it could double as a basketball court lol.

I do kinda covet the flat driveway as it looks much more convenient than my rather steep one. I guess there are some perks to living in the midwest? :grin:

So 4 garages belonging to 4 separate households, all contiguous?

Yep. Great apartments with 2x8 insulated walls between each unit. Very quiet. Great neighbors. Great neighborhood. When I sold my house and decided to move here, I worried about noise. Not an issue.