New Census Interpretation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
The new Census information is in. What are your thoughts?

Populations are leaving northern and midwestern states for the sunbelt. Why?

My thoughts are that they are leaving the democratic controlled states for the business friendly (read: job creating) conservative states. Disagree? Then why is everyone leaving Ohio and Pennsylvania in droves? Why is California in such shambles with everyone leaving for the more conservative Arizona?

Hugh,

Don't over think this ..................

It's nothing more than the "Boomers" are aging and retiring, and looking to the sunbelt and less "costly to live" states.

"Honey let's get away from the snow & taxes and take care of the rest of our lives...........the kids can come visit us now!"

Bob

Ohio was a very industrialized state. The baby boomers, as PlymBob'02 said, are retiring. They are heading south.

As for Ohio being Democratic controlled...seriously. Ohio just elected a Republican gov after a Democrat for only one term. Before that, Bob Shaft (Taft) totally effed up the state and he was a Republican.

Tom

So, its just the warmer weather and lower cost of living? I'll play. God gives us the better weather. Why is the cost of living lower?

I don't think the governor's seat is a good indication of a party's control in a state, but that's another issue.

Hugh,

The closer proximity to the equator gives you the better weather.

COL is typically defined by what the market will bear and what the market defines. Areas with higher COLs have higher real estate values, higher paying jobs, typically greater numbers of jobs, etc. As there is an exodus from the NE the COL will adjust, over time.

TJR

The population isn't moving. it is the illegal invaders in the south and west that are growing and a disproportional rate as compared to the other states. Missouri lost a congressional seat despite growing 7% or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
The population isn't moving. it is the illegal invaders in the south and west that are growing and a disproportional rate as compared to the other states. Missouri lost a congressional seat despite growing 7% or so.

I worked the Census this past cycle and this is correct, many illegals are being counted, and this is skewing the number of representatives in congress

TJ, I just include natural phenomena as acts of God. Forgive my jumbling of science and faith.

Areas with higher COLs have higher real estate values, higher paying jobs, typically greater numbers of jobs, etc.

Just make sure you don't confuse "higher cost of living" with "better lifestyle." I'd take a $30k job in the lower Mississippi delta buying a $150k house over a $75k job and a $450k house in Philadelphia any day. I think this is a realization many people are coming to across the country.

Gavin, illegal immigration from our southern neighbors didn't begin in the last 10-20 years as many may believe based on the "news." Every census has had errors for many reasons. This isn't a new misrepresentation nor is it the only one. Illegal immigration isn't your scapegoat on this issue.

I don't know the specifics of Missouri's populations and don't feel like looking it up but its most likely because one large city or one large rural district lost a significant portion of its population or didn't grow at the rate of the rest of the state. Northeast Ohio lost a congressional seat in the state because Cleveland's population either grew slower than the rest of the state or actually declined (not sure which exactly). This is normal. Again, not the fault of Mexicans (or even if it is, its not a new problem caused by some new surge of immigrants).

This isn't a new trend; people have been moving south since the 80s. I did research on this topic in college, but it is admittedly pretty boring and irrelevant for most intents and purposes. Its really just the moving of resources from area to another. The most exciting it gets is when you start talking about gerrymandering, which is probably the reason behind Gavin's report of Missouri losing a congressional seat, not actually a real result of population shifts, even though that's the way it will be reported. I thought I'd start this topic to discuss why populations are shifting, though. I don't believe its just because old people are moving to warmer climates and suddenly wanting to save their money. It certainly isn't because Mexicans are all of a sudden crossing the border.

As a prime example:

Who is responsible for the absolute financial disaster California is in? Don't take the easy route/scapegoat and blame illegal aliens. Doing so only admits that they are equally skilled/educated but will work for less than you will. Either you are worth more money because you are more skilled/educated or you don't really want the jobs they're taking. If it's the former, ask yourself why you are only as skilled as somebody desperate enough to risk crossing a desert, leaving their family behind, and living/working in the black market without the advantages your country purportedly affords you. Or maybe even ask yourself why you aren't that desperate for the job they took from you. Either way, I have more admiration for the illegal immigrant. They may be law breakers, but they're finding a way to better their lives, not looking for someone to blame for their misfortunes.

The silicone valley used to be the leader in computer technology; that market is rapidly moving to Canada and the far east. California used to be an agricultural haven; now marijuana is king crop. Military aircraft was big business in California; not anymore. Hollywood was the envy of socialites worldwide; now its a gangland and home to a handful of secluded wealthy lunatics. California public education used to be a model for the country; now its a case study for dealing with drop outs. I could continue, but I think I've made my point. Any explanation besides blaming brown people?

I worked the Census this past cycle and this is correct, many illegals are being counted, and this is skewing the number of representatives in congress

You are correct. the Census does not ask if you are here legally, it simply takes a count of everyone living in the state/area. So, yes a community could be 100% illegal, but still get representation in DC.

Tom

More and more apartments, and illegals not counted and more and more people NOT having kids...

Thats how i see it.... Simple, But thats me !!!

Todd Z

Hugh said:
God gives us the better weather.

TJR said:
The closer proximity to the equator gives you the better weather.

Actually, you're both wrong.

God and/or closer proximity to the equator gives the South the WARMER weather. It's personal preferences which make the warmer weather BETTER (or not--again, dependent on personal preferences.)

" It's personal preferences which make the warmer weather BETTER (or not--again, dependent on personal preferences.)"

me and the family can't wait to make the perm move to the sunshine state :banana:

about a year ago, i read that there are more people moving out of florida then to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill V,

Nope, I am not wrong, because my personal preference is that warmer is better...this time of year. Warmer is worse in mid-August. But, for right now, for the time of year that it is and the weather we have been having, for ME, warmer IS better.

I've gotten past trying to tell people that preferences are wrong. It's like debating which is the better ice cream: chocolate or vanilla. :banana:

TJR

Couple things, since demographics are my hobby and I live in a depopulating former industrial area.

People generally move where the work is. Many newspaper writers here bemoan the fact that we don't have any immigrants in western PA. I often email them to point out that immigrants are not stupid or lazy and go where the work is, which is not here. Further, six of the eight fastest-growing states in terms of jobs and population have no state income tax and all are right-to-work states, something that is an anathma in the Northeast. Last, the weather sucks. With modern telecommunications, FedEx, etc., decline of heavy industry, it matters less and less where businesses locate, so they will go where costs are low which is not the heavily taxed Northeast.

Michigan is the only state that actually lost population, others like PA simply didn't grow as fast as others.

If you think growth in the south and southwest is purely from illegal immigration, click here and go play for a while. ----V

JohnnyO,

All good points especially about modern telecomm. My current job has me telecommuting most days. My only real requirement for where I live as it applies to my job is that it has to be convenient to a major airport AND have good broadband. That makes for great mobility potential. However, with kids in a great school system we don't see ourselves moving anytime soon. But, in 8 years when the last kid gets out of school, well, we could move to many "less costly" areas.

As for western PA...nuff said. It's what the rest of PA calls: "Pennsyltucky"

:banana:

TJR

Thanks Johnny, that's what I was getting at. I started to leave this one alone because the facts seemed to be offensive to some.

My family is actually from western PA and my parents moved to Atlanta in the 80s because there weren't jobs there. They're originally from Washington. Some are still in Washington, many in Pymatuning and Meadville and the rest are in Georgia, Florida or Oklahoma. I bet you can guess who has the better jobs. I have some cousins in their 20s who still have never held a job. Its a giant welfare state, now.

Western PA is beautiful, though, so I guess it has that going for it.

Latest posts