New 2010 Adrenalin Owner, 4.0 SOHC, need help finding turbo or supercharger mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some info on the 4.0. Is it the same from the Mustang? Any performance mods out there. I see all kinds for the 4.6L 3V engine, but none for the 2nd Gen 4.0. BTW, have had my Sport Trac for a week now and am LOVING it. Best truck I've ever had. Always wanted one from the concept pics in the late 90's pop sci mag.

Unfortunately, EE doesn't make their supercharger for a Gen 2 V6 Trac. The intake manifold on the Gen 2 Trac is much different from the one found on the 4.0 V6 Mustang.

About the only performance mods out there for the Gen 2 4.0 V6 are:

1. Zabteck TB

2. Zabteck/Nocturnal Cold Air Intake (Coming Soon) or an aftermarket, better-performing drop-in filter

3. Performance muffler/exhaust of your choosing

4. XCal/Diablo Tuner of your choosing

5. ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley.

6. Performance Distributors Screamin' Demon Coil Pack/Livewires Plug wires

If there are other mods for the Gen 2 Sport Trac 4.0 V6 that I've missed, I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
but no one ever states what the HP difference is on any of the tunes??? Is it worth it??

Tunes provide a lot more benefit that just a HP gain. They also provide smoother, more crisp shifting, eliminate the rev limiter, improve towing capabilities, and can result in improved MPG. If you have rims/tires of a size other than OEM, the tunes can correct for the non-OEM tire size so that your speedometer is accurate.

HP/MPG gains can vary depending on what other mods you have installed, driving habits, and what type of tune you install (performance, torque/towing, or economy).

With so many variables, there's no blanket guarantee that an aftermarket tune will result in XX% increase in HP and/or MPG. It all boils down to how you want to spend your $$$.

That makes some sense, but there has to be a base line?. Well let me say this, I just sold my GT500. I put a CAI and Tune on that and although there were several to choose from, all got you between a 40-50HP gain regardless. I do understand certain variables exist, but this is a V6, and not much you can do in mods that a tune "needs" to be that specific is there? Yes If you change tire size (if it makes it smaller or larger) and yes if you change other mechanical attriburtes, but over all, is running a stock ST with OEM tires, and I wanted a TUNE, regardless of towing or torque, just wanted to increase HP, which in turn will change torque by default, what would be the "expected" HP gains? Are we talking 2-5HP or 10-20HP or 30-40HP. Sorry, there has to be a base answer!

My mods, after 4 dynos, got me from 168 RWHP, to 209, was it worth it, NO

40 RWHP in a lead sled is almost imperciptable.

At our dyno day, just a tune, thrown in on the dyno, no running the truck to learn, just flash and go made between 8 and 15 RWHP depending on other mods on the trucks.....

Bill,

For me ( and I am sure others) honestly has nothing to do with the "total" HP gain and truck weight....

I am happy simply modding my truck and having fun with it.... Will it ever beat a mustang in the 1/4 mile, No, But it is a hobby, fun to do, keeps me off the streets and is what I chose to do with my money and time..

You sound like you had visions of making 500 HP on a little 4.0 v6 in a 5,000 lb truck and now your bitter and disappointed that you spent that money.....

Todd Z

Not in the least bitter Todd, accomplised what I set out to do.

What with the price of gas and gridlock traffic most days in my local, just no longer feel that a trac is a good platform for perf type mods.

No, But it is a hobby, fun to do, keeps me off the streets and is what I chose to do with my money and time..

Not to agrue with you Todd about your statement but... When you complete a mod, where do you test it out at? If anything, modding your Trac puts you on the street. ;)

:lol::D

Tom

LOL Tom, You know what I mean..... :D

Bill,

I just see you constantly telling others to not mod things just because you feel it is not worth it....

Thats all...;)

Todd Z

Ok, so to respond. Sold my GT500 as it was a triple black vert and I bought it back in MI, I since moved to NV and the black is a killer out here. No longer fun to drive. So it sat in the gargage, and after a year and putting only 300 miles on it, sold it go get some cash out of it. I may buy another at some point.

On to my ST. The question that continues to perplex me is: I bought the ST as it was, loved all the options, except for the V6. Always being a V8 man, this is my first. I think it is peppy enough, but at 210 HP, I wish it had more balls. All I want to know is, with a tune and keeping the ST otherwise stock, what would be the anticiapted HP gians, and please state flywheel not RW.

Simple, the V6 has 210 and the V8 has nearly 300, I think 289HP. Will a tune bump the V6 within striking distance of the V8? I think if you can get a bump of 40 at the rear wheels, if I recall my numbers correct, that translates into a larger FW ratio?

So are we talking about taking the V6 to 250-260HP???? If so, this is almost a no brainer! I would buy one tomorrow.

Slb,

unfortunately you answer can not be answered here..... none of us have removed our motors and put them on an engine dyno...

Some of are 2wd, some 4wd, some have auto, some 5speed, some different gear ratios...

All those factors come into play to give you true Flywheel HP... plain and simple..

So all the numbers here will be RWHP.......

Most places use a 13-18 % loss drivtrain..... so 210 RWHP is 247 flywheel.... Some people say use higher % and some lower........

My 2003 was 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 mile then a mild bolt on v8 new ST........I am the same as bill b, 210 RWHP.......

The 07 is slightly heaver and has numerically lower rear end gears, but better transmission gearing....

As much as I am happy with the 4.0 in my 03 and 04 ST's IF I was to chump out the $$ for a newer body style, i would only get the v8..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
As todd said, with Bolt ons maybe 250 crank max (and a tune)

That being said, if you have the money, is a kid here in town that runs a built V6 in an 07 stang (basically the same engine).

Is twin turboed with 460 at the wheels, thats 540 crank, he's a hell of a driver and runs consistant High 11s.

But he has 12 grand invested.

like pulling teeth at times LOL... Ok boys.... the V6 is listed by Ford to be 210HP. regardless of all the crap stated above, it is ONE rating, which I will call flywheel as it is NOT RW. Sooooo let me see if I can make this simple, and in FORD terms. If you have a 210HP V6 in your ST, that means FORD does not care if it is a 2W or 4W or whatever, it is the stated HP for the V6 in your ST. Sooooo that stated, if you get a TUNE for the ST with a V6 stating 210HP, and based on that alone, and all else being OEM stock...

WHAT would the anticiapted increase in HP be over the 210 listed???

Hope that makes sense!

And we are pulling teeth too......

There is NO one that did this to answer your question with the answer you want...

If we got 8-15 RWHP on a quick flash and tune, then a stock out of the box tune ( NOT dyno tuned) should get you ( assuming 20% loss, with automatics) 9.6 to 18 over stock

SO 210 plus 9.6 = 219.6 or 210 + 18 = 228 FLYWHEEL HP !!!!

How is that ???

And just to add my 2003 ST at the rear wheels was 172 RWHP bone stock and at 210 now...

i am sure bills st was close to that too.. so 210 * 20% makes them about 252 Flywheel....

Todd Z

168 oem 209 after close to 2K in perf mods, 40 RWHP, ballpark 250ish crank.

sure you can notice the diff, but it is not overwhelming.

not telling people not to perf mod the gen 1s, whatever turns your crank, go for it:banana:

Latest posts