New 07 Limited with transmision kick

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Koelling

Reaction score
After driving over 30mph or so and warmed up, my new ST 07 with less than 600 miles

give a kick as I role to a stop. I have the V8 auto. It feels like someone bumped my

bumper when it occurs. Not every time and no noise, just a neck jerk.

Any ideas?

I'm off to the dealer in the morning. Going to have to bitch to get a free loaner.

-Thanks

:unsure:

Thats one of the things I felt when we drove them in CA......

IT is either the Throttle BY Wire acting up or the transmission....

They should be able to flash the computer and straighten it out...

Todd Z

I hate to say this, but unfortunately I think this might be normal. My 07 Limited V8 does the same thing some times(not all the time). Also, my 98 Corvette does the exact same thing except it does it after you have come to a complete stop. It's really weird because in the Vette your sitting at a light, and then you feel this slight bump (or surge) and you swear the person behind you just tapped your rear. You get out to look and NOPE, no one has touched you. My Vette has 54K miles on it and never any tranny issues so I haven't worroied about it too much. I'm not sure what the transmission is doing, but somethings going on and it's strange. Let me know what you find out when you take yours in.

Pat, do you feel the same thing in your ST and/or your Vette?

I have never felt this in my ST. I did feel it in my Gen 1 ST. I think your transmission is downshifting before you get to the stop. Mine does not do this. I have a feeling that Ford did another TCM update to force a downshift during the roll to a stop. If so, I'm glad to hear it! However, there must be too much torque to the point where people are feeling this as they slow down.

I'm driving the 6 speed manual in the Vette, so the only bump I feel is if I do it myself.

My wife's Liberty does that every now and then. The first time it happened, I thought someone had rear-ended me.

Dealer (who is also the Ford dealer) says it is normal...

Took it in today. They gave me a free rental car after hearing I had not filled out my

sales servey yet.

I drove it with the tech so he knows what I'm talking about. It did it 1 out of 8 times

but was noticable. Hopefully thay can fix it. I'm tired of looking back for a car on

my bumper and none being there.

Thanks for the help.

Mine does it too.

Ordered mine late May 2006 and got it July 3rd.

If I show up to a NYC Ford dealer with a TSB dated May 2006 they will say that mine was not even built yet.

I felt it last night! If it wasn't for this post, it wouldn't even have alarmed me. I was slowly decreasing speed and it hit around 30mph. I believe it was a downshift.

Dealer called today. They were unable to make it kick.

Said it will either get better or worse.

Better is no problem, worse they'll fix it.

I go pick it up tomarrow. At least I have it documented as a problem.

If they are unable to fix after three attempts, it's lemon time. :angry:

Please let me know if anyone does get this fixed.

Thanks.

My Vette has been doing this every since I have owned it and I've never had any issues so when I noticed my ST doing it I assumed that it was not a big deal. We've got a 50K mile warranty so if I have any problems mine will be in the shop as well. My guesstimation as to what the tranny is doing is downshifting a bit early anticipating the need for added power when the driver goes to accelerate without coming to a complete stop. I say this because initially I was reading posts that were indicating that the ST was not downshifting to 1st gear until after you had come to a complete stop and then started to accelerate from a complete stop. Maybe the revised program is overcompensating fo rthe initial issue?

The dealer is keeping the ticket open. I guess they don't want to put down "got no idea".

Yes, it is still doing it. It may do it less as things wear in a bit. Only have 700 miles

now so I expect things to still be smoothing out. I really don't expect my dealership

to do anything more. They get me the impression it was beyond their capabilities.

Maybe the factory will come out with a new software patch if others complain?

I'll give it til the 1st oil change and then see what they have to say.

Thanks for the interest.

Latest posts