Negative Battery Terminal Bolt Coroded/Rusted

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis F

Reaction score
The bolt on my negative cable connector is completely rusted out. I’ve tried a number of different tools in an attempt to work the bolt loose with no luck. The only other things I can think of to get the connector off intact is to either drill out the bolt or use a cut off wheel. My concern is the sparks that may be generated in the process. Is it advisable to use one of these methods or should I seek an alternative? One alternative I thought of was to separate the cable itself from the connector by bending the ends which hold or clamp the cable to the connector. I’m doing this in an effort to replace the battery. It’s not dead but it’s on its way out and I’d like to replace it before it’s completely dead.

Any other suggestions for removing the cable’s connector from the battery would be greatly appreciated.

If it's that badly rusted, I've found that vice-grips on both the bolt head and the nut will allow you to turn the nut, as long as you're careful to not press against the battery itself. Sometimes the nut will unthread, but usually the bolt snaps. Instead of a powered solution that might cause sparks, try a hacksaw blade or metal file to cut the bolt or the nut.

Disconnect the positive cable and replace the negative cable when you install the new battery.

Tap it with a hammer sideways, it should brake free....

You then can get a new terminal end or replace the whole cable..

Todd Z

Latest posts