Needed info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Purdy

Reaction score
New to forum. Background retired from THE GENERAL. 1st blue oval. Questions i have what does ST mean when talking about trucks?. Bought a 2003 sport trac and was reading about how horrible the transmissions are in these trucks. I was going to tow a pontoon with it that is approx 3000# and now am scared to because of the transmisson. It would be towed approx 20 miles with some hills. How much danger to tow the pontoon?. Last does anyone know what size nut i need for the transmisson tube bracket that goes on the header bolt mine is missing. Thanks for all help.

The only question I feel comfortable answering is the first, as I haven't really towed all that much except e few U-haul trailers (back when they would rent to us ST owners.

The ST means nothing more than Sport Trac

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the 2003 Tranny was improved and does not have the issues the 2001 has.

With that said, It all depends on the previous owners maintenance.

How's the tranny fluid? Smell? color?

The only thing I would suggest is having a second transmission ( Well 3rd) Cooler installed. Can get 1 with a fan Like I have or just a nice large cooler. That will keep the temps down and help your drastically.

With that said, the ST will tow the Boat fairly well.

Does The trailer have brakes? Then your home free.

Drive and enjoy !!!

Todd Z

change the fluid out, and tow away... My 240,000 mile 2002 has towed my 5500# RV 20,000 miles in the last 12 years w/o issue

:supercool:

ST = Sport Trac. A 3000# boat is no big deal, especially for only 20 miles. The 5R55E tranny IS kinda sloppy when it comes to shifting but that's just how they are. Disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so is kind of like a home re-flash. As mentioned, a lot depends on the previous maintenance. The earlier trannys (I had the same engine and tranny in a 2002 Ranger and a 2005 Sport Trac) called for a fluid flush every 30,000 miles, which hardly anyone does. My 2008 has the same tranny and calls for a flush at 150,000 miles but I do it every 50,000 anyway. Have 107,000 on it now.