Need some pics of roof baskets w/ spare tire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
After a year of not having a spare tire (you don't have to tell me how dumb that is :rolleyes:) because of not having a place to put the 33" tire, I've finally relented to putting it above the cab in a Yakima loadwarrior basket. I've ordered everything, but I'm second guessing the decision. My truck is already lifted 4.5" (3" BL and 1.5" TT/SL) and I'm afraid the extra height on top is going to look ridiculous. I've only seen a few trucks with the set-up, so I think I need to see some pictures of more to make it sit right with me. I'd especially like to see it on some lifted trucks. Anybody have this set-up or any good pictures of someone else's? Thanks!

-Heather in OC

Hey Heather...

Here is one of George C's Yakima Rack with spare tire. There are more in his library.

Hope these help. I also know that the lock he has they don't make it anymore.

Paul H

LOL

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I'd be more concerned with trying to put the old (and filthy dirty) tire back up there after changing a flat tire on the road. You're already angry, tired and dirty from having to change the fool thing, and now you have to fight getting it back up on top to secure it. Bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Uncle Bob, I've never had to use the spare tire (knock on wood) but it is really not that hard to get up there. I'm sure I wouldn't be happy but I would probably just throw the old one in the bed until I got home. Honestly, having it up there is easier than having to crank down the regular spare. It is secured with a screw on bracket and just a regular padlock (optional).

Heather,

The Yakima setup is the most common and strongest. Were you able to find the spare tire mount for the basket? I know Yakima discontinued it a while back for some reason but I'm sure there are still a few out there. Don't forget a taller jack because with the larger tires the stock one is not tall enough. I carry a bottle jack in the bed just in case. Since this picture I have added 4 PIAA lights to the basket which makes it look even better. Kind of a Baha look.

George

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Very nice set-up George! When I go wheelin' I pull the spare out and strap it in the bed (either flat or against the cab or tailgate) planning on getting a flat eventually :(. Your set-up is real nice, thanks for the great pics of the lock. A little off-topic but since I'm planning on running 285 75's soon I wondered if you have any rubbing issues in the front? I've posted inquiries in the past so I'm always looking for more insight. Also, are the spacers you have in the rear necessary for tire fitment or more for looks? Thanks, great truck!

Thanks... I don't have a BL; just a TT/Warriors and George's profile states he has the same. THanks ScoTt.

Mud... I wheel as much as I can. The trac makes it a little more difficult due to the long wheelbase, but its manageable with some height, decent tires, sliders and a gas tank skid plate.

George... If you buy a can of Duplicolor black vinyl dye from any auto parts store, and then spray the tread of that spare, it'll look great with no ill effects on the tire.

Latest posts