Need some help...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Got a small problem with the husband's Ranger. The bolt used to drain the oil is stripped. Does anyone know any tricks of the trade, or what he/we should do to remove the bolt?

Thanks in advance!

Try grabbing it with some vise grips and pulling out as you turn it. Sometimes the threads that are not stripped will catch and you can unscrew it. You can sometimes get a screwdriver under the edge of the plug to add some outward pressure to try to get the remaining threads to catch.

If you are lucky it is just the drain plug that is stripped and not the pan. Our son stripped one last month in his F-150. He was lucky and only needed a new drain plug.

Sorry guys, I wasn't very clear with my description. The threads are not stripped, the head of the bolt is stripped and there are no flat edges to grip and turn.

Can a tap be used to remove the bolt? And if so, does anyone know what size?

I still stand by the vise grips. Get a really good grip on the drain plug, rounded off or not. There is another old trick using a sharp cold chisel and a hammer to turn rounded off nuts and bolts. But I would be sorta scared if it slipped you would have a hole in the oil pan.

Sounds good! We'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks!

if you can not get it with vice grips:

1) hammer on a 12 point socket that is 1 size smaller then the bolt

or

2) Cut 2 flat spots on the sides and use a smaller socket or adjustable wrench.

Both have worked flawlessly for me...

Todd Z

Thanks guys!

The vice grips finally worked. The bolt is completely torn up, and it took a lot of work with the grips, but it finally turned enough to break that seal.

Now, we are heading up to AutoZone to try and get a new bolt.

On a side note, I just don't understand why my stubborn husband doesn't just become a member here. I mean, anytime something like this happens, he comes crawling to me "can you ask your sport trac site? please?" :) I think maybe he knows that he'd get addicted. :lol:

This is truly a wonderful site. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenn D:

I've never had this problem but I do want to add one additional comment. I do not mean this to be a bad comment but this could happen to me on a bad day(which I have a lot of since I turned 55).

Are you all turning the drain plug in the right direction? May be I've just been lucky but I find it hard to believe the head of the drain plug would strip to where it was completely rounded off before it would just undo?

Good luck with this problem!

Gary G
:)

Gary, I am completely with you. I found it hard that it could have stripped so easy. So, I went out there to investigate and sure enough, that nut was literally crumbling off at the edges. He has been changing his own oil for years. I have no idea what must have happened to it. Either way, we just got a new one and all is well.

And as for "turning it the correct way", that was the very first thing I asked him. :D Of course, I asked nicely. :lol:

DO THIS PRIJECT

Oil Drain Valve

by Ken Kojima

I recently purchased the Fumoto's engine oil drain valve. I heard few members are currently using them on their ST. I was bit skeptical however; I thought I'd give it a try. I got mine from http://www.fumotovalve.com/. Cost was just under $23.00. Ford however; use metric size treads. So when you get your package, you will see on the back does not show "Ford" application. But it's a right size. Sport Trac part # is F-106. When you order online, you can select to have it shipped in two days or regular mail. Mine was shipped regular so it arrived in one week. It's a great device when you changed oil yourself and save trouble-having wrenches in hand. This valve should out last the life of your engine. Made of good quality brass and stainless steel spring. I would highly recommend this product to any members who want convenience of changing oil. Even your oil change facility mechanics will love you for this little device. Here's how I install mine. I hope you will add one soon.

This is what came in this package. One oil drain valve. Note; you will receive application chart sheet with this shipment and clearly state that this is the right valve # F-106.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to use Teflon tape on the treads. This will prevent oil leak and make better seal around the treads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should only need to go around two passes around treads. Any more will be too thick.

This is what should look like after you applied the Teflon tape.

Photo indicated that there is a blue gasket that came with this valve. Also valve lever and repairable "C" clamp.

*page 1* page 2

"Five Wrenches" Project Difficulty Scale

Anyone can do it!

Novice skill level. Easy project for someone who is comfortable following step-by-step directions and using basic tools.

Handy skill level. Some experience required. Project may required specialized tools or knowledge. Can be attempted by anyone willing to invest some time and effort.

Apprentice skill level. Involves one or more specific technical skills, special tools, and high level of effort.

Mechanic skill level. Requires special training and tools, experience and significant knowledge of subject matter.

All projects presented herein are copyrighted by the respective authors of the projects. You may not reproduce or resell the content of these projects without the express, written permission of the author. Submitted projects become the property of the website owner and may be edited for content, formatting and clarity. Projects will not be published if the proper guidelines are not followed.

Member projects are submitted by web site members and published for entertainment and informational purposes only. These should not be considered definitive project

JennD from one gal to another, you do realize that if he does not become the member, you will ALWAYS have the answer for him! ;) :D:lol:

Latest posts