need opinions on tonneau covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlo D

Reaction score
Hoping someone here can provide suggestions or some info. Need to install a tonneau cover on my ?05 Sport Trac. I want something that will allow me to access the truck bed easily so I can haul big cargo whenever I need to. I saw a good deal on Access roll-up cover at http://4wheelonline.com , though I have no idea about the quality. Does anyone have the Access cover and how do you like it? Or what type of tonneau do you guys have? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Karlo D,

Check out (TonneauCoversWORLD.COM). I purchased a Folding Tonneau Cover from Advantage Truck Accessories. Hardware Kit contained 2 brackets- 1 for drivers side and 1 for passenger) 4 hex bolts & 4 lock washers. That's it.

I have a 2003 2wd and the item# for that year was 43916 Advantage Hard Hat Tonneau Cover. Good Luck.

i looked at those covers for a while but i decided to make my own cover instead. a member earlier on this site posted in the projects page how he created his own hard cover by using a sheet of plywood. i did the same thing except i added hood shocks to either side so it would stay up without me holding it.

I have a SportMasters tonneau but I think they went out of business. The vinyl Lund unit is similar. I also need to open the bed up frequently so a soft tonneau is better for me.

I have the Truxedo Lo-Pro roll up. It has been on my trac since 2005. Still in excellent shape. They come in a variety of colors. I went with the gray on my silver trac.

[Broken External Image]:

I've seen them in a farm and home store. They seemed to be good quality. Access and, I think, Covercraft are made by the same mfg. Anyway, the farm and home store had 2 brands, and Access is actually made by the other company according to the info at the display. Access is the better known name of the 2 brands. They've been around a while.

I did like Alex D and built my own out of plywood based on the instructions in the project section, but modified for my own needs. I started to make it hinged in the middle for access to either end, but then decided to add a toolbox across the front of my box. The toolbox is low profile which puts the middle of the latches at the same height as the plywood cover, so I had to leave a gap. It's not weather-tight obviously, but it provides security. I attached it with quick disconnect clamps.

I picked up a used snap on cover for $5 at a Salvation Army store a couple of months ago. Don't know what it fits, but it seems to be the right width. Haven't figured out how/if I'm going to use it.

I picked up a used snap on cover for $5 at a Salvation Army store a couple of months ago. Don't know what it fits, but it seems to be the right width. Haven't figured out how/if I'm going to use it.

Duane, Switch the snaps over to 1 1/4" industial velcro. That is what is on mine.

I have a velcro cover on mine. Had it for about 10 years now and it's held up great! I did replace the velcro about 3 years ago. I can't see myself ever going with any other type of cover!

I had a cover on my '74 Ranchero that had snaps on the sides, but velcro across the tailgate. I think I replaced the velcro on the tailgate, not the cover, once in about 20 years. When that one was made, I don't think "industrial" velcro was even available. The regular stuff was hard to find.

As for my $5 cover - I need to figure out some sort of frame to mount the cover on. I don't want snaps or velcro directly on the truck like on my Ranchero. Vinyl covers have come a long way since the '80s. Almost all mounted directly on the truck back then, and had little to no support in the middle. Anyway, I'll probably play around with this one to come up with a way to cover the whole box when/if I ever take the tool box out. Or buy a second Sport Trac!

I found a farm and home store locally today (not the one I mentioned above) that has Tonnosport (an Access brand), Access Vanish, and Lund Genesis covers. No listings for a Sport Trac, of course, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere. All are roll-up covers with aluminum side frames and hardware. Velcro, not snaps. Judging by the little display models, the Tonnosport was lighter weight material, but appeared to be the same construction, frame, style, etc as the Access Vanish. The Vanish felt like it's the same heavy weight material as the Lund Genesis. Prices for '04 and up full-size short box Ford were $315 for the Tonnosport and $330 for the Access Vanish. I would spend the extra $15.

Access is made in the USA.

CORRECTION on my 1st post - Access and Agricover are both made by Access.

"AgriCover, Inc. was established in 1981 as a grain truck cover manufacturer. Over the next 10 years , they introduced the SRT-2 Spool Roll Tarp and the EZ-LOC Roll-Up Tarp. In 1991, they introduced the revolutionary Access Roll-Up Cover. The first of its kind, this product is the #1 selling roll-up tonneau in North America. Agri-Cover, Inc. also manufactures the popular LiteRider, Lorado and all new Vanish Roll-Up Covers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts