need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAUL AGUILAR

Reaction score
I need help choosing a carburator for a 1983 Ford F100. Recently it started running really rought :angry: so i took it to a trusted mechanic and he said the carburator is bad. He also said that he would not recomend a remanufactured unit on my specific application because of a bowl rubbing problem or something. Mechanic also told me to make sure it comes with 3 sensors on it because they are really expensive from the ford dealership. my ? would be, how do i go about choosing the right carburator for the application, get good deal on a new one and make sure it has everything on it that it needs. I have been looking though all obvious websites and they all seem to be reman. and don't specify what is included. I also looked at performance carbs but i don't know if i would be able to pass smog if i go that route.

:)

any help greatly appreciated

Thank you

I don't think you can find a new one for that, But I have had good luck with re mans, i have several shops here i hand deliver my old one to and they rebuild it in a day or 2.....

I feel if the re builder knows what he is doing you will be fine... You may have to make small float and a/f adjustments, on a rebuilt......

Todd Z

Is this a 2 barrel or 4 barrel carb? What sensors are on the carb that he is talking about?

I cant think of the sensors that would be on the '83, 5.0 2 barrel. Holley makes an excellent 500cfm perfomance 2 barrel. It has the same bolt pattern as the fomoco that is on there now. Truck engines were still fairly simple and free of alot of the emmisions equipment in '83. I dont think ford was using electronicly metered carbs back then. Get a second opinion somwhere about the sensor issue.

I know that the factory 81 thru early 83 models had some plastic parts in it, that caused alot of problems. I had a late 83. You might check for an 84 rebuilt to replace it._Ron

Get a rebuild kit and do it yourself...

That specific carb is one of the easiest there is. The kit also comes with directions for some of the more critical adjustment areas.

Seriously, the kit is cheap and they do NOT come any easier than a 2 BBL Ford carb...