Need Help with Ford Model Year 2012 and/or 2010 OBD PIDs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn White

Reaction score
Hey gang, it's been a while since I posted, but I still check in from time to time since I traded in my Trac for my 2012 F-150. I have to say this forum has a great bunch of folks tied to it. I've posted a number of questions other forums, but am often unable to get a response.

I was hoping I could ask the Trac crew if I could get some help tracking down PID information for the 2012 or 2010 model year Fords.

I looked at the Scan Gauge webpage and the only PID I was able to get to work on both my 2010 Escape and 2012 F-150 is the trans temp (PID: 07E0221E1C)

I think Ford changed the CAN bus sometime in 2009 or 2010 as all the codes on the Scan Gauge page work on my buddies 2008 F-150.

I was wondering if anyone had PIDs for the following parameters:

-Torque Into Converter

-Cylinder Head Temperature

-Converter Speed Ratio

-Fuel Level

-Torque Converter Line Pressure

-Transmission Output Speed Shaft

-Transmission Gear Ratio

-Fuel Pressure

Thanks so much,

Shawn

Shawn,

Various meters like the ScanGauge and the UltraGauge only provide that information if your vehicles has those particular sensors. ie: Some vehicles with OBDII do not have fuel level sensors so that you must reset the fuel level at fillup and the fuel level is then calculated based on air:fuel ratios, rpm, etc.

I am not aware of any gauge that will show torque into converter, converter speed ratio, torque converter line pressure, or any of the other Transmission telemitry you are wanting? Some Diesels will give Tranny Temp sensors, and fuel pressure sensors, most gasoline powered vehicles do not?

As for differences between Canadian and US OBDII specs, I don't know...but that could be the problem? I would suspect that you would need to contact the manufacturer of gauge to find out if they will work with specific Canadian OBD standards.

...Rich

Rich,

I've actually been able to get a number of values pulled up on my buddies 2008 F-150 which uses the SAE CANSF protocol based on SAE standards. Scan-gauges web page pulls the codes correctly. Ultra-Gauge now allows you to enter custom commands as well. It should even pull the Transfluid temp for the GEN 1 Tracs. They can even ship the gauge for the GEN 1 tracs with the Ford protocal pre-programed for you.

In the 2009 timeframe Ford switched the protocal to ISO standard 14229-1. I haven't had much luck in getting the PID values to decode the ECMs hex response.

Scott,

I have a 2012 F-150 with the 5.0 V-8

I have been able to get the transmission fluid temperature to work with PID.

I'm hoping to get fuel pressure (FPR) and Transmission Output Shaft Speed (TSS) working.

PID: 07E0221E1C

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,

It sounds like you answered your own question?? You said it worked on your friends 2008 F150 and that Ford changed the ISO Standard and now that will not work on your 2012 F150.

BTW, the ISO standard may have changed, but Ford did not change it...they just follow the changes made by the International Standards Organization (ISO). The ISO 14000 series of standards deals with Environmental Management and all the variations to vehicle emission and engine controls are part of that ISO standard.

It appears that your ScanGauge complies with the older pre-2010 standard. It may require you to get the ScanGauge preprogrammed for your 2012 F150 by the people at ScanGauge. Then neccessary modifications to meet the changes to the ISO Standard may require some Firmware updates to your ScanGauge.

I'm thinking that you would probably get more specific help from ScanGauge...I would suspect that you are not the only one having this problem with the Canadian OBDII version changes.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually bought the new ultra-gauge, so unfortunately I don't think Scangauage will be to willing to help :grin:

The list of codes on a number of forums typically cover the older CANSF format. I was wondering if anyone with a 2010 Trac has an Scangauge any could list out any codes they got to work. I haven't found much of anything on the new protocol. A few posts have complained about limited support as well.

My truck is a US based truck, the 2008 trucks used a CANSF protocol based on a SAE standard, that was likely based on US sold vehicles. I believe the industry was forced to the ISO code to make emissions information cosistent accross all new makes.

Shawn,

I have the UltraGauge, and it has worked fine on every vehicle I have tried it on, including a 2008 Mercedes, 2002 Toyota, and it is not on my 2013 Hyundai, but they are setup for American OBDII standards. Actually, my UltraGauge automatically detects the vehicles ODBII format as soon as it gets plugged into the vehicle. My Mercedes gives me nost of the information I use the UltraGauge for and it was very accurate. My Hyundai also gives similar information but it needed some mileage calibration (as most vehicles do require some mileage correction) I took the Hyundai on a 2400 mile trip this past summer and the Hyundai computer and UltraGauge were within 0.3 Avg MPG. The Hyundai said I averaged 30.2 MPG while the UltraGauge said 29.9 MPG

Close enough for my needs..:grin:

...Rich

Rich,

I think we are talking past each other, CAN stands for Controlled Area Network, it is a communication bus protocol, it doesn't tie to a Canadian OBD2 code. I couldn't agree more I love my ultragauge, and they now offer a new version that allows you to access custom parameters. I'm trying to figure out what the custom codes are to use the new functionality.

Shawn

Latest posts