Need help locating a donor vehicle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Who, what, where, do I search for a 98-01 salvaged V-8 Explorer? Are there companies out there that can search for salvaged vehicles? I really hate to buy a halfway decent Explorer only to tear it apart for the motor and tranny. I found some on ebay for about $2-4k, but would prefer a salvaged vehicle for a cheaper price tag.

Contact, CoastieJoe. He is one of our members. He is in that bussiness and is very helpful.

Too bad you are not close to CT. My friend has a 98 the had that switch fire. Good motor and tranny. He's tring to sell them now.

I found a website a few years ago that links to several dealers that handle salvaged vehicles. It's called erepairables.com. Sometimes they show vehicles that are beyond repair, but sometimes they have some pretty decent looking vehicles on there. Some have even already been fixed.

Got to the link below and you will probably find what you need. He's in Ferguson, has 302 engines for $550.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as a matter af fact. When I travelled forward in time I found that human males were mating with anthropogenic robots [wow do they look and act real] who would then have have offspring of various designs that pocessed the mental capabilities of their human "fathers". I could go on but then I would reveal more than I'm allowed to at this time.

Thanks for the links Bill, but I am looking for the entire vehicle. I found some vehicles for around 500-1000. So there is no way I am going to pay Al's $550 for just an engine.

But again thanks for the help.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get an explorer express super charger kit and call it day? I mean...if you're thinking of spending 3-5gs on a doner vehicle...

His earlier statements said he was looking for something a little less than 2-4k, so I think he's looking for a complete wreck with good driveline in the $1000 range. He'll probably spend another 1-2k to finish it.

When he's done it should equal the EE supercharger in power. If it's still not enough, he can always supercharge the 302!

Ok guys here is the deal. I do not want to build an Explorer 6 cylinder motor. The motor in stock form is already a ticking time bomb of a motor (timing chains need I say more). And I know there are those that have a supercharger on their explorers, and others that have 200k worth of miles on them as well. I like the idea of having a V-8 between the fenders of the ST:D

And depending on how much I spend for a donor vehicle, I will not spend any where near 4k for a V-8 swap, unless I buy a perfectly good and driveable Explorer as a donor vehicle.

I will spend some money to freshen up the V-8 and tranny I do find though. And with a few hundred dollars worth of parts, the V-8 will easily perform as well as any 6 cylinder with a super charger, and not have the possibilty of grenading like a supercharged SOHC 6 cylinder will do.

I have found 3 rollover V-8 Explorers around 500-1200 for the complete vehicle, but they are FAR AWAY from me:angry:

Here is an example of what I am finding.

So in closing what I am looking for is a heavily damaged (not the front end) and prefer a rolled Explorer/Mountaineer V8. This way both vehicles will be parked next to each other in my garage. The front ends of both vehicles will be removed, and will start swapping the parts required.

Parts needed:

motor

tranny

wire harness

radiator

brake booster

PCM

PATS garbage and the keys from donor vehicle would be real cool:D

F150 maual T-case

Still not 100% sure about the drive shaft yet, it may need to cut down:wacko:

Anyone want to help out when I am ready to start?? I always have beer in the fridge.

The rest of the explorer will go to a scrap yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad, IF your Buying I am flying...... Could use a good vacation next year when you start...

Todd Z

Latest posts