Need feedback about shocks/lowering ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan G

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase new shocks for my Trac. I feel a vibrating whenever I go over bumps or when on the highway, and a squeal coming from my suspension after coming off of a speed bump or other hard bump. A mechanic that I work with told me it's because I need new shocks. Besides needing a intake manifold gasket and possibly a transmission due to "flairing" at 30mph, this is exactly just what I needed!

So I'm about to purchase all these items, but I thought, while I'm at it, I might as well get the correct shocks that work well with a lowering kit. I was eventually going to lower my ST when I got more money, but since I have to change my shocks, I might as well get it all at the same time.

My questions are...

What's the best shocks to use when lowering my ST?

What's the best way to lower it? (I saw a 3inch drop kit at ExplorerExpress.com, is it a good idea/product?)

Where else can I buy these items?

Ryan- Monroe Sensa-Tracs, front and rear, and a 3" Drop were the FIRST TWO mods I performed on my '05 XLS. (Pics in library)

If you purchase te EE "X-Spec" Lowering Kit, the only difference would be that I used torsion keys in addition to the torsion bolt loosening. (Torsion Twist)

I couldn't be happier with the VASTLY improved handling, BIG TIME. Ride comfort quality is unchanged, yet positive and sure. (Thanks, Dan Long)

The other suspension upgrades that almost all Trac fanatics recommend are the Front and Rear End Link Kits and an aftermarket Rear Sway Bar. (Explorer Express or Addco)

I would change them ALL over again, without hesitation, if I bought another ST. Improved the handling to a MUCH higher level, it's like driving a new "beast".

My primary reason for the drop was ease of entry. The deletion of roof racks, step bars, and bed cleats, enhances the streamlining even more, IMO. The handling was a HUGE bonus.

P.S.- I am using four Goodyear 225/75R16 "Wrangler ST" shoes that were new when I bought the ST at 46K. They are crap, to put it mildly. I "aim" for nails and road debris. LOL

Can't imagine the benefits of changing to "quality" tires such as Michelin's or BFG's.

P.S.S.- Sears has Monroe Shocks @ 50% Off SATURDAY ONLY FROM 7AM - NOON.

Don't miss it, great deal !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Explorer Express kit is a really good one. That's what I had. When I lowered mine, I used the EE kit, EE rear swaybar and Monroe Reflex shocks all around. As sshawaii said, totally differant beast! The only thing I did differant than he did, was I cut the bump stops down a little to make bumps less jarring, and I didn't use torsion keys, I removed the adjustment bolts. And definately get an alignment!! The camber will need to be adjusted, and the parts required for it come with the EE kit.

Stock:

[Broken External Image]:

Dropped:

[Broken External Image]:

The only thing that has stoped me from lowering mine is. The monsoon street flooding, we get in the Houston area. I did lower the rear 1 1/2". So it wouldnt have that forward rake look..

I did lower the '94 stang and '88 t-bird I built before the trac. They sat low already anyway.

I bought a set of 2" lowering blocks from a local member here. I installed them and adjusted the torsion bars down 1". Rides and handles pretty decent for having stock sway bars. I have Monroe air shocks on the rear in case I need to raise it a bit for a load but haven't changed the fronts yet. The front is pretty bouncy right now.:(

Larry, how are your painted bumpers holding up?

Before

5ff2a5f918d9d5fbd2e5303f168b34bc.jpg

After

05ffed6612d79debd2b35b17506b1208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts