Napster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJR,

Stop by a free P2P downloading site and get your money back.

You even get that "Warm and Fuzzy" feeling. :)

Tom

i didnt know this was a discipline teaching site. Whats the deal with the "how you were brought up" posts? A billion people download music and I bet they arent all bad people.....

Wow...guess I struck a nerve. Sorry, I just get sick of the rationalization.

Wrong is wrong, illegal is illegal.

The people that do it, Fmarano, might be "otherwise" good people, but for that very act are breaking the law and doing something that is wrong.

TJR

Yeah I think we know it is illegal.....and wrong if you want to say that but you make it sound like we were brought up to steal music and since we did, the rest of our lives will be nothing but criminal acts.......lol

Also, another reason NOT to use P2P software is the spyware most of them installs on your computer. I have probably made $1000 this year alone in removing spyware for people and many if not most of the time I have found P2P software as the culprit.

My 12yo son had a "friend" over that installed Limewire on my son's computer, and it was the first time he had spyware (I keep his computer pretty well locked down). He knows now not to let friends use his computer without his knowledge.

TJR

Fmarano said:
Yeah I think we know it is illegal.....and wrong if you want to say that but you make it sound like we were brought up to steal music and since we did, the rest of our lives will be nothing but criminal acts.......lol

Nope, that's just you rationalizing and being a little overly sensitive to my comments about your illegal action.

I never said anyone was BROUGHT UP to steal. Actually, I said just the opposite, that I bet Caymen's mom told him that "Two wrongs don't make a right". Now, if I said "Obviously your mom brought you up to steal", or "Obviously your mom NEVER said...", then I would be accusing people of being brought up to steal. I never said that.

Nor, did I ever state that illegal downloading is the slippery-slope into a lifetime of crime. Nope, never said that, never even implied it.

All I was doing was trying to stop the RATIONALIZATION related to this act. I actually find the rationalization of the activity WORSE than the activity.

Most people that download music illegally do also buy music, and wouldn't buy any more music anyway, so the fact that they download doesn't reduce the amount they would spend (it's the whole fixed budget argument). However, that still doesn't make it right, and of course the practice is still illegal.

BTW - Taking a single grape from the grocery section of the supermarket, or eating something from the bulk food area is stealing too. :p

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't used limewire, Fmarano, but it seemed to install spyware on my son's computer...though it could be that he got a bad copy, as I know many folks repackage these P2P apps and host the downloads from their own areas and install spyware in stealth mode.

Please don't think me an alter boy as I have used Bearshare, WinMX, Morpheus in the past, but its not something I do anymore, and when I did, it was only to "attempt" to get things I just couldn't buy, like out of print stuff, old software vers, etc. (that's me rationalizing)....it still was illegal...I admit that.

TJR

No spyware included in Limewire unless he downloaded it from a bad site. As for "wrong is wrong, illegal is illegal", maybe you should start with our politicians.

TJR,

First off, I am not rationalizing anything. You complained about not getting a crumbs from the recording industry when they broke the law. I simply threw some humor into the situation. Maybe your mother did not teach you humor.

As I have said before, I choose to live the way I choose to. I make my decisions and I live with the consequenses.

It is as simple as that.

I got my $5.00 from the recording industry. They lost my business from it. Who is the real winner here? Me!

Tom

I guess I wasn't talking to you about rationalizing Caymen. Oh, and I heard you the first time about my mother not teaching me humor. I do actually read your posts, you know. And, humor isn't typically something that was taught, and yes, I did see you were trying to make light of the situation by putting a smiley on your post.

But you still didn't answer my question...how did you get that RIAA money?

Seriously?

TJR

There was a class action lawsuit against the recording companyfor illegaly inflating CD prices. You had to say you purchased at least 1 CD in the past 5 years to qualify. You had to sign online to qualify. The industry lost. As thier punishment, they had to send a check to every person that signed up.

If you did not sign up then, it is too late now.

Tom

Ethan whether or NOT the RIAA did anything wrong in CD sale pricing over the past few decades, you and everyone else who bought CDs did so willingly and by knowing the price. Therefore, although the pricing might have been inflated via illegal measures, I don't consider that the RIAA "STOLE FROM YOU". Caveat Emptor!

Simply put, it is not an excuse to steal music. You can rationalize your behavior any way you wish, but ADULTS that do wrong typically admit they are doing wrong and move on, they don't come up with LITTLE KID excuses for their actions.

TJR

I know it's illegal mom, but I also speed, take tags off of matresses, and I didn't report $10 in lottery winnings last year.

I'm an awful human being :(

The people that do it, Fmarano, might be "otherwise" good people, but for that very act are breaking the law and doing something that is wrong.

TJR

Typical hypocrite. I find it difficult to believe that you never break the law in any way shape or form.

Who gives a damn if "you" think it is right or wrong????? fbradlaw asked where he could find a good legit site to get music. Answer his question and move on!

Thanks, Rue...seems like somebody pi$$ed in your Cheerios this AM and I hope it wasn't me.

As for whether or not "I" think it is right or wrong, I never debated the correctness of the practice. It is wrong, it is illegal, there is no debate about that...that's the point. I just try to educate people that the rationalization of the illegal/wrong practice speaks VOLUMES about the people doing the rationalization.

But, your right we should answer the question; and I did answer the question though, then got on my soapbox. I guess it was the first time a soapbox ever came out on this site.

Gosh! ;)

Oh, and I will take the opportunity to apologize to anyone offended by my actions. It's kinda tough to hold a mirror up to oneself as we often don't like what we see. Likewise we often come up with excuses for our bad behavior rather than simply stopping the behavior. I would rather people simply NOT FEEL GUILT and NOT MAKE EXCUSES than try to spout crap to defend their actions. If people missed that very clear point made several times, than I am sorry.

Have fun downloading!

TJR