Napster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Fink

Reaction score
Hi, Does any one use Napster? My son has an MP3 wants to use Napster for downloads. For 14.95 a month for unlimited downloads sounds great. Do you get to keep the music if you canx your account? Also is there any other legit sites that are good for downloading?

thanks ahead of time.

fbradlaw:)

I think you can. But make sure you read the fine print, sometimes you can only do a limited amount of stuff with it. There are many sites out there that are the same. Rhapsody (sp) for one. I don't use either one but have done research on them. Beware because some you have to pay so much a month and then to keep the music or to get them to go onto MP3 players you have to pay so much per song. In other words, to put it on your computer it's "unlimited" but to burn it to CD or onto a MP3 player you have to pay like .99 per song.;)

Fmarano: Maybe fbradlaw is more interested in instilling good values in his son and prefers to pay for a service rather than steal a service.

fbradlaw: napster-to-go allows you to transfer unlimited songs to a mp3 player. Two downsides, first you have to retain the monthly membership to retain access to the songs. It's kind of like renting the song. I currently subscribe to Musicmatch On Demand for about $5.00 a month where I get on-demand streaming of music on my PC. Have had the service for more than three years now, and like the concept of "renting" music. It can't trasfer to a mp3 player, so I tend to buy the tracks I want to listen to on the road, or want to own in case I want to listen to the song a few years from now.

Second issue is the mp3 player has to be comptable. I have a first generation DellDJ which isn't napster-to-go compatable. I keep hoping it breaks so I can justify getting a new compatible unit.

I've heard a mix of reviews. Some people really like the ability to try new music for a single subscription price.

Others complain that you can't burn CDs, it only works on a handful of mp3 players (and not on any iPods), doesn't work on linux/macs, and has roughly half the music content of iTunes.

For me, I always prefer to just go out and buy the CD and rip them onto my computer myself, or if I only like a few songs off of a given CD, I'll buy the individual tracks for $1/ea off of iTunes.

The recording industry STOLE from the public for over a decade through collusion and illegal price fixing tactics. They only stopped this practice once the FTC sued them, and forced a settlement. The FTC estimated that they STOLE nearly $500 MILLION from all of us.

Pardon me for not feeling any guilt for downloading a few songs.

Record Companies Settle FTC Charges of Restraining Competition in CD Music Market

All Five Major Distributors Agree to Abandon Advertising Pricing Policies

The Federal Trade Commission announced today that it has reached separate settlement agreements with Universal Music and Video Distribution, Sony Corp. of America, Time-Warner Inc., EMI Music Distribution and Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG), the five largest distributors of recorded music who sell approximately 85 percent of all compact discs (CDs) purchased in the United States to end their allegedly illegal advertising policies that affected prices for CDs. The proposed agreements would settle FTC charges that all five companies illegally modified their existing cooperative advertising programs to induce retailers into charging consumers higher prices for CDs, allowing the distributors to raise their own prices. The complaints are the culmination of an extensive industry-wide investigation by the FTC of these practices. The FTC's orders would require all the companies to discontinue their "Minimum Advertised Price" (MAP) programs in their entirety for seven years. The orders contain additional provisions to preclude the companies from maintaining the anticompetitive status quo.

"The FTC estimates that U.S. consumers may have paid as much as $480 million more than they should have for CDs and other music because of these policies over the last three years. These settlements will eliminate these policies and should help restore much-needed competition to the retail music market, consisting of $15 billion in annual sales. Today's news should be sweet music to the ears of all CD purchasers," said Chairman Robert Pitofsky.

According to the FTC's complaints, the companies required retailers to advertise CDs at or above the MAP set by the distribution company in exchange for substantial cooperative advertising payments. The restrictions applied to all advertising, including television, radio, newspaper and signs and banners within the retailers' own stores. The restrictions even applied to advertising funded entirely by the retailer. Under the policies, large music retailers would lose millions of dollars a year if they failed to follow the MAP restrictions.

The complaints detail how MAP policies were adopted to squelch discount music retailing. In the early 1990s, many new music retailers, including major consumer electronics stores, started to sell CDs at low prices to gain customers and market share. The more traditional music retailers also lowered their prices to compete. This retail "price war" led to lower CD prices for U.S. consumers as prices for popular CDs fell as low as $9.99. The record companies adopted the MAP policies in 1995-96 to extinguish this "price war," the Commission contends.

The FTC alleges these MAP policies achieved their unlawful objective. The "price war" ended shortly after the policies were adopted and the retail price of CDs increased. The distributors then increased their own prices, and since 1997, wholesale prices for music have increased.

The FTC's complaints state that the MAP policies imposed by each distributor violated Section 5 of the FTC Act, as unreasonable restraints of trade under the so-called "Rule of Reason," and that the MAP policies together were unlawful "facilitating practices" which increase the risk of collusion or interdependent conduct by the market participants.

The proposed settlements would prohibit all five companies from linking any promotional funds to the advertised prices of their retailer customer

Last edited by a moderator:
Fmarano: Maybe fbradlaw is more interested in instilling good values in his son and prefers to pay for a service rather than steal a service.

they do say downloading free music from the net is a gateway to a life of crime...next he'll be knockingoff banks with the IPOD around his neck:lol:

give me a break....:blink:

I love this place: allofmp3.com

Really cheap downloads. I think it's an illegal site but I've been using it for months without any problems. Screw the record industry. And if you think your taking money away from artist, got news for you. The record industry has been stealing from them for years.

Ethan whether or NOT the RIAA did anything wrong in CD sale pricing over the past few decades, you and everyone else who bought CDs did so willingly and by knowing the price. Therefore, although the pricing might have been inflated via illegal measures, I don't consider that the RIAA "STOLE FROM YOU". Caveat Emptor!

Simply put, it is not an excuse to steal music. You can rationalize your behavior any way you wish, but ADULTS that do wrong typically admit they are doing wrong and move on, they don't come up with LITTLE KID excuses for their actions.

TJR

I don't buy music because of the way the RIAA shut down Napster and the illegal overcharging for CD's.

I have purchased over 400 CD's in the past and according to the lawsuit, I got $5.00 beck. What a deal.

I do download some music off the internet, but not like I used to. I used to download it all the time, but then again, I used to buy it all the time too.

Usually, I will only buy music from people like Jimmy Buffett, since he rules.

Tom

Hah, I got 13.98 back Caymen, and my collection is over a thousand CDs, not to mention a couple hundred vinyls.

No, LOL, I just found it funny that they were somewhat proportional in the amounts of money. Maybe we got $.01 back for each CD we bought, lol.

Latest posts