Name that Part !!! Million dollar question?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I installed a remote starter and alarm in my 2003 Sport Trac.

When re-installing the dash components under the steering column I forgot where a piece went. The picture is below! One would think I would definately remember where such a distinctive piece went but ???? There is a metal plate behind the plastic under the steering column, its somewhere up inside there.

Also that piece has a magnet on the bottom.

and its not the lighter in this picture (for sizing purposes)

I'm forever indebted to the person who can identify it.

Thanks

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a metal plate behind the plastic under the steering column

Is this metal plate attached to the plastic cover that covers the steering column under the dash? If so, my "guess" is that this peice maybe clamps around the steering column and the magnetic base adheres to the metal plate which might be attached to the back of the sterring column cover.

You know whats totally hilarious? I have this SAME piece from somewhere and I have no idea where, but right now its stuck to the back of my garage door till I figure it out...

So hilarious, hahaha...

I have no idea where it came from either.

Im thinking it might have attached around the column and held the metal plate so you could screw in the bolts without holding onto it... But thats just a guess.

That is hilarious - I got a new light for xmas and it does probably go with it.

Wow the jokes on me. I thought I would remember something coming out of the dash that distinctive.

Ohhh boy:lol:

I think it's a part that clamps onto the steering column and holds the PATS (Passive Anti-Thieft System) bypass key. That's what allows your remoter started to start the engine without having a security chipped key in the ignition.

You can make the $1 million check out to Richard Lunder.

Thanks,

...Rich

Ever think that may not be a trac part. I believe that is actually a magenetic holder for a work light. I have <a href="http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03483912000P?keyword=shop+light"target=top> this one </a> and if you look at the middle of the pic on the light itself, you'll see something that looks alot like it. My guess is that it has nothing to do with the trac specifically becaus it has a magnet.

Just noticed Chase named it. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts