My turn for the infamous cracked elbow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McDonald

Reaction score
Well, My '02 with 157k miles started throwing out some CEL's with code P0171 recently (for about a week now). Today, I finally had the chance to look under the hood and sure enough my elbow has a crack.:angry: :angry: Why is it that the darn crack is ALWAYS on the bottom and you don't know for sure until you remove it? Murphy's Law, I guess.

Anyway, I guess I will be calling Torrie in the morning to order one. In the mean time, I wrapped a few turns of electricians tape around to try and mitigate the leak a bit till I get the replacement elbow. I reset the computer to see how effective my temp 'fix' will be while wait for the part.

I suppose I should be grateful that it lasted as long as it has.

When mine cracked it was on the top but I still didn't see or notice it until it threw codes. I went to the local ford dealer and bought one on the spot dot $30, came with the rear eblow and full tube that raps around the intake. I put a clamp on the ends after installing the new parts.:):banana:

The oil in the line ( Which everyone allways says i am wrong) rots the rubber..... The oil is on the bottom of the hose and rots it...

Todd Z

Todd, I agree with you. I worked on vehicle for 19 yrs. I found oil that sat in lines ate through the lines.

Bill, here is a pic of the elbow.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Motorcraft # KCV - 190

NEW Ford # 4L5Z - 6758 - HA

OR

OLD Ford # 4L5E - 6K817 - HA

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts