My ST has decided to start tap dancing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
My ST (2004-4x4) has developed a tap in the front passenger wheel area. I guess it is almost a click and can't be felt, just heard and you almost need to have the window down to hear it.

I first noticed this shortly after installing new tires and assumed it was rocks getting stuck in the tread as it wasn't happening all the time and it was a fairly regular tap. Today I was out hunting on a dirty road and noticed it was more prononced. It doesn't seem to affect it (make it better or worst) when I go side to side, accelerate, decelerate ro if it's in 2wd or 4wd. But it does seem to do it more consitently when no load (coasting). I checked the CV joints on that side and the boots have no cracks or tears.

Any thoughts......Except for tap dance lessons?:D

Denis

Could still be a CV joint but more than likely would be the hub bearing as like you said, no real evidence that the boot has damage to it.

Or a hub bearing going bad..

Todd Z

4 Wheel Drive bearings can get expensive fast.

Not too bad to change though. They could be MUCH worse considering where they are and all they do.

I'd have to agree with Todd and Joe, sounds like the hub bearings. I didn't have any worning when mine totally blew out and barely made it home. I bought mine from 4WheelParts.com, pretty easy to replace. Definetly want to do both side at the same time though. Keep us posted, good luck.

FYI,,,

One side has nothing to do with the other. Yes, not a bad idea to change them both based on miles, how they are used (highway, off roading, dirt and muddy etc etc). But no rush to get to the other one if it is good.

You could do one, eat the cost and do the other next month when you have pocket cash again...

Latest posts