My sons 99 Mercury Tracer thermostat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
The temp. gauge runs normal after start up for a few miles than it quickly springs up to the red zone on the gage. Can I assume it's the thermostat?

I would like to try and replace it myself if thats all it is. I believe its just 3 bolts that hold the housing on at the end of the heater hose.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,markr

Last edited by a moderator:
markr, it appears that when the temp SUDDENLY rises the thermostat is opening at that time. I suspect that the temp sensor is downstream of the T-stat. You should check the water level in the radiator, not overfill reservoir. The T-stat replacement is easy and should be no problem to do yourself.

The question I ask is this. Is it running hot? Just because the gage says so, doesn't mean it is. Does the engine feel warmer than it usually does?

With that being said, has the thermostat ever been changed? What maintenance has been done? Mileage?

It could be a lack of maintenance. If the thermostat is the original, problem or not, it should be changed.

Tom

Mike C , It rained all day Sunday and I was away for most of the day so I didn't get chance to go out and change the thermostat.I will probably drop it off at my corner mechanic and have him take a look at it today.

Caymen,I don't know if it was running hot. I bought the car used so I would guess that it is the original thermostsat.It will have the system flushed and a new thermostat installed .Like you said "problem or not".

The Thermostat is uber simple to replace. Save the money and spend an hour replacing it.

Tom

I agree with Caymen. Do it yourself and save a bundle. It's and easy replace, and you'll buy the part and coolant at a much lower price than at a shop. Check the hoses while your at it, if suspect replace the top and bottom radiator and heater hoses to give yourself piece of mind. BTW you might consider a MILD radiator cleaner prior to change out of the coolant. I think if you do it yourself it will cost less than the shop AND you'd be getting new hoses and a flush.

Latest posts