my radiator just cracked :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Well the Junkyard radiator I was using in my truck started leaking fluid about 2 weeks ago. It was just leaking a very small amount and I did not think much of it... Well I drove down to visit some friends in boca and 9 o'clock Sunday night just as I was to leave boca the radiator cracks straight down the side and now the truck is marooned in the mouth of the rat...

Any Ideas on where to get a good price on a new radiator... not going to do the Junkyard again.

Also Is it possible to separate the a/c condenser from the radiator so I can leave the a/c system alone?

Thanks

Don D.

I have always got a good price on name brands @ auto zone. A few years ago I paid $149 for the stang @ az. I also never buy wrecking yard radiators.Not worth it. Especialy since aluminum cores and plastic tanks. I could fix the old copper brass ones myself.

Used can be as good as new, it mostly depends on how it was used or abused by the previous driver as well as making sure your t-stat is not affecting it.

Sounds like you just got unlucky was all.

Most used radiators will last 100,000 miles.

CJ, I dont trust the used aluminum mostly. It does depend on how it was serviced. You take that chance of acidic or electrolosis corrosion, from disimular metals. In the cooling system.

You won't have to touch the condensor, its a separate unit in front of the radiator. You will have to disconnect the tranny cooler lines from the radiator though.

I've purchased two radiators from 1-800-Radiator. Both were decent priced, and delivered right to my door. (Both were actually delivered the same day I ordered them)

Both experiences (95 Grand Am, and 93 Geo Prizm) were positive, Both appeared to be high quality and the fitment was exact as the original.

Wont hurt to call and check the price and availability. They deliver right to where you are.

Same as Dave... i use 1800 Radiator all the time.....

Todd Z

Thanks Guys...

I will Give 1800 Radiator and maybe AZ a try (had a bad wrong part experience once)... The radiator cracked on the plastic tank just below the upper radiator hose elbow. It went about 3 inches before turning down a rib so its about 5 inches long and in the shape of an L. In other words it is toast and I do not intend having the tank replaced.

Not sure how to get the condenser off the radiator... When I put the junk v8 radiator in it had the condenser attached and I do not remember if its connected the same way the v6 radiator was but i did find on google that I need to pry metal tabs separate or something. Any one do this?

@JKII Thanks for the offer and if something comes up I will keep that in mind. The truck is at a friends house who is an avid Land Rover fan... So he has lots of tools. :grin:

This forum still rocks. :driving::banana:

-Don D.

Don, I'm not sure what's going on with your condensor being attached. I replaced the radiator in my 2000 Explorer V8 a few years back and also had the radiator out of my 2001 ST at some point, and I can't recall anything being attached to it. The radiators were also identical from everything that I saw, I think I even wound up switching them between vehicles to get my Ex back on the road in a hurry while I waited for the replacement to arrive.

Latest posts