My quest for new tires. Comparison Shopping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
This past Friday I spent about half a day going around to several tire dealers in a nearby city to do a little comparison shopping. I went armed with some online price print outs and an idea of what I wanted for tires, I had 2 or 3 different ones in mind. Note these were tires for my wife's 2006 Rendezvous not the ST. At each store I got printed tire quotes to take along.

Anyway after visiting 8 different retailers I determined they couldn't even come close to the online prices. Also most of the retailers advertise that they will price match and beat competitors but that was not really the case because each one had some special sale, gift card added (Sears & VIP), rebate, buy 3 get 1 free, etc. They all basically told me the same thing which was they could match the competitors regular price on tires but couldn't price match on special deals like the buy 3 get 1 free, gift card offers, etc. So in reality price matching isn't all its cracked up to be. I played the game where you must bring a printed tire quote in order for them to consider a match and time after time one could not match price to the other for some reason or the other. In many cases they were well over 100 dollars difference on the same tire at shops withing 10 minutes of each other.

What I hated the most was some of places where they actually have salesmen to try to pitch you the tire. I went to one place that had Goodyears in stock for my vehicle that bragged up the Goodyear compared to a Dunlop that I was considering saying it was far better than the Dunlop another place that had the Dunlop but not the Goodyear was just the opposite saying that it was far better than the Goodyear I was considering. I guess thats what salesmen do but I prefer to just do the research online, there are plenty of comparison charts, reviews, tests etc.

When it was all said and done I ended up ordering the tires online. I did this really as a quest just to see what I could come up with as I have never done so in the past, and now I know that I do not want to play that game again and will probably just order my tires online in the future. I know I should support local but with the price of gas and everything else saving money any way I can just seems to be a good idea.

FYI I ordered the tires from Treaddepot which offers free shipping on the tires. It seemed to be a reputable company and although the actual tire price was a few dollars more than other sites like Tirerack once you factored in shipping it was quite a bit cheaper. I ended up getting Cooper CS4 tires and once I get them mounted locally I will have ended up saving about $100.

Next I will be looking to get new tires for the ST. A friend told me that I will likely get a discount for my next order with this first order so that will make it even better.

I just had a few minutes and thought I would share this experience for any others who may be wondering where to get tires. I did find a consumer reports article about how many more people are begining to buy their tires on line as the price continues to go up and that in most cases it does save you quite a bit of money.

If you read this far I hope you were not too bored and maybe someone got something out of it.

I just put some Kumhos on a Rendezvous. They work pretty well.

One thing to be cautious about, however, is that most local tire shops won't install a tire that they didn't sell you.

i've ordered 5 sets of tires from tirerack and had them put on at the dealer.. it was only around $50.. have done this at ford and chevy.. the chevy place thought i was crazy when i pulled up in my vette with 4 tires , 2 in the passenger seat.. the last set of tires i bought was for my wifes escape... i went with firestone destination le's and the local firestone dealer matched the tirerack price so i let them install them.. i do like the free rotation you get from them..

call the local buick dealer for mounting prices... the dealers in my area are pretty competive...

troy

I have a local garage I use often that will put them on for $15 each (mount, balance, valve stem) or even Walmart will do it for about $12 per tire unless your vehicle has TPMS system (tire pressure monitoring) then it figures out to about $25 per tire. I will also call the local buick dealer to see how much there, it is still under warranty so may be best to have them do it just in case they find something wrong, not expected, but you never know.

Dingo I thought hard about trying the Kumhos as the price was really good and they had the highest mileage warranty of any of them, 85,000, but when I finally found a UTCG rating for them it was not quite as good, plus my wife really liked the look of the Coopers.

Last fall, discounttiredirect.com had a deal where you buy 4 tires, get $100.00 off, with free shipping.

I got a set of tires for my Dad's Taurus for about $170.00 for all 4 of them. Mounted, balanced, etc.

Sometimes if you go to the online tire retailer's website, they will give you a list of tire shops that have agreements with them to install tires purchased online.

We called one place and they quoted us $10 for mounting and $20.00 for balancing, plus a buck for each weight and 2 bucks per valve stem. Talk about a rip-off.

Called one for the discounttiredirect.com reccommended installers and they quoted us $9.00 for mounting, balancing, valve stems, and weights. When we got there and had the tires done, we went to pay. Dad opened his walled and only had $35.00 cash on him. He had a CC to use, if needed. When Dad asked me if I had a few bucks for him, the owner said "Don't worry about it. I will not miss a couple bucks." So, dad got the tires installed for $35.00 vs, $36.00 plus tax.

Tom

Firedog, I only picked 'em 'cause they were cheap, not 'cause I like 'em. :)

I only bought the vehicle for resale.

Last fall, discounttiredirect.com had a deal where you buy 4 tires, get $100.00 off, with free shipping

i bought the new tires for my sport trac under this deal after caymen posted the info for the one day sale.

on their website they had a list of mounting dealers that they used throughout the US.

i found one about 3 miles from my house and had all 4 tires mounted,balanced and put on the truck within 1 hour of UPS dropping the new ones off.

very happy with discount tire

Rich,

I am glad you took advantage of it. I wish they would do it again. I need some more tires.

Tom

I am for sticking with the local tire store. I went in and got a price quote today and all though I order a lot of things from the internet, tires will not be one of them. I have seen a few defects in new tires over the years and like the ease of pulling into the local store and making an immediate exchange. My local NW chain also includes a better warranty, tire rotations, and flat repair as part of the price. I think that is well worth the $100 I would save ordering off the internet.

I am zeroing in on ordering a set of Toyos Open Countrys. Nice tread and they are rated for snow conditions too.