My new Netbook...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my new Samsung netbook, and it is awesome.

Major complaint is that after first power on, Samsung ran this ridiculous setup routine that made the netbook unusable for over an hour, and this was mandatory.

Also, they installed a bunch of superfluous crap software...I'm tempted to reinstall Win7, but some of this stuff might turn out to be useful.

Incredibly frustrated that they installed Google [spy]bar and McCrappy though :(

Besides the fact that all of this extra crap, most of it trial software, shouldn't be on here, WHY didn't it come pre-installed?! Taking an hour to setup the netbook is ridiculous.

KL,

Nearly all computer manufacturers load all that crappy trial-ware on them. My Acer Netbook nad McCaffewhich I used only for the initial testing of my computer. I uninstalled it withing 3 days and installed Symantec. For nearly a year now I have been getting email from McCaffee telling me my trial version is up, I need to renuew, etc Very irritating !!!

Printer companies will almost give you the printer just to get you to my their ink, which is where they are really making their money. PC companies are not different. They make deals with these software companies to include their trail-ware versions as part of the computer package so they can say the include all this software, but don't tell you its trial ware, or Special Editions with most of the usefull functions disabled, etc.

I never buy a computer or hardware just because it has some software included, unless it is the exact software I wanted anyway.

...Rich

Yupper. The hardware companies get lots of kickbacks for installing the bloat-ware on their systems in the hopes that users will opt for the "full versions" or otherwise purchase the crap after the trial version is over.

Personally, I'd pay $25 extra just to have a clean OS install and no crapware. Some vendors were doing that at one time, if memory serves.

TJR

I didn't buy for the software, I bought for the hardware, and I was in ignorance that all this crap came on here. The Asus EEE pcs didn't go through this bs...though Asus doesn't sport wireless N, which really cannot be added, and wireless N is cool. :banana:

Also what is annoying is this is Win 7 starter 32-bit, but the n450 is a 64-bit processor. I have access to a few free copies of Win 7 (Thx MSAA), but I have to ensure that I can get all the USEFUL aps and drivers back first.

This netbook has this really cool app that can set a USB port to provide power even if the laptop is hibernating, in standby, or powered down. I haven't found much use for it yet, but I don't want to sacrifice it.

....though Samsung does say that this comes with MSOFFICE...it neglects to mention that it is a 60 day trial. Punks. Luckily, MSAA has office aplenty.

My wife's Dell Mini 10v has Win 7 Starter. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it just annoys the you-know-what out of me that she can't customize it however she wants. If my other computers weren't running 64-bit OS, I'd try changing it over. I'm even considering making an ISO of my XP disc and putting it on a flash drive and reformatting it with that.

I hear most netbook manufacturers have free software fixes to facilitate altering the desktop wallpaper, though I haven't personally investigated yet.

This tiny screen size is taking much getting used to :( 10.1 != 15+

80% battery and 6.5 hours of time remaining is pretty awesome though. I seriously need a mouse though, man does not live by touchpad alone is probably in the Tech Bible.

BTW, does anyone else get minor video lag on Hulu with their netbook? I am...and I'm kinda disappointed that it takes 150+ megs of ram for FF or IE to run something in hulu...that's more than all of the programs combined I utilize to play H.264 mkvs, which run without lag, I might add. (And that's a heluva lot more intensive than Hulu should be)

Roger,

I read on another site about trying to use the "pop down screen" at the top of the desktop screen. You click on it and when it opens, some will have a "pictures" tab as the third icon. When you click on it, it will open your pictures folder and when you right click on a picture, you may have the "set as desktop background". Mine didn't have it, but quite a few "Mini" owners do. Check it out.

Also, do like I did and go onto your computer's site and check for any updates. It took me about an hour to find mine. It was listed under Windows 7 updates, even though there was an option for either Windows 7 updates, or Windows 7 Starter updates. The programs aren't made by Microsoft but by the computer's manufacturer. I do know that HP has one for download, you could try downloading it and see if it works for you.

I've had my Dell Inspiron 10 for a year now and love it. I travel a lot (short overnight), so it is nice to just toss that puppy in my overnight bag. The battery life on my net-book is better than on my Dell XPS M1330. I'm keeping WinXP on it for now, since it works with my CAC reader from work.

Latest posts