My new Netbook...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Well, finally got one. My wife bought me one for my Birthday which was March 9th. I got one off E-Bay that said "new in box". Well, it arrived and I had it for 2 hours before putting it back in the UPS box (evidently, that was what it meant by "new in box" since it was just a computer in a UPS box I got) and sending it back. Anyway, I got one off Walmart.com for $269. It's a ASUS EEE 1005HA and it is sweet. I've had it for 2 weeks now and have not had any problems getting a connection. Even had it in Cincy Oh this past week, used it in the hotel, and no problems. 10.1" screen, 1GB RAM 160GB HD, Intel Atom Processor, 8.5 Hr Battery life, and Windows 7 Starter. Love it.:supercool:

I know they aren't meant as speedy machines, but how are they? I keep tossing the idea around of getting one but haven't messed with them enough. I'm waiting for some reviews of this model and might use it as a car-puter.. a little bluetooth + gps + music and all the good stuff in a portable touch screen computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say, it works very quickly with everything I do with it. The internet is a little slower when not plugged in (running on the battery) since it goes into a different user mode to conserve the battery, but when I say "slower" it's not to noticeable. When it's plugged in, it works just as well as my PC at home. I did a lot of research after my first fiasco, and the whole EEE was rated within the top 2-3 in most of the sites.

$269 is a great price. I've been looking at getting one of these myself. Would prefer the full version of Windows 7 instead of the Starter but I know that would increase the cost.

I agree somewhat with you Tom. I was weary of W7 starter when I was looking at getting this thing. I looked it up, and it's actually made for these smaller computers. It's a smaller version so it doesn't take much RAM or memory to run. It has everything I wanted on it except the ability to change my Wallpaper. Funny as it sounds, that kind of ticked me off. Luckily I found out yesterday that there is an "update" from ASUS that when you download it from their site, it gives you the ability to do just that. HP has one for their computers also. So, all-in-all, this Netbook has been working really well for me. I have been using it more than my computer at home.:supercool:

I see where Acer has come out with an 11.1" netbook PC that has all the same features as most other netbooks, but runs an Intel Dual Core processor instead of the Intel Atom. All the reviews indicate that it is light-years faster than the Intel Atom, only weights 3 lbs, and only cost about $399.....hmmm very tempting !!

...Rich

I would imagine that battery life drops significantly though which is one of the main draws (at least for me) to a netbook.

JDBoxes,

The standard Acer battery for the Intel Dual Core Netbook is rated at 5 hours. I'm sure that if there is not extended battery available yet from Acer or the aftermarket, there will be soon.

The standard battery for my Acer Intel Atom 8.9" Netbook is only about 5 hours, but I have an extented 9 cell battery that last up to 8 hours.

I used my netbook to listen to MP3's and play solitair while flying from Dallas, TX to Kona, Hawaii (with a stop over in Phoenix) with no recharge and still had plenty of battery power when I got to the condo in Hawaii. I carried the fully charged OEM+ standard battery with me as a spare, but never even came close to needing it.

...Rich

Wow, my coworker gets 14 hours out of his Asus EEE, though that does have the N450 chipset, but is still just a standard 9-cell extended life battery.

RL, are you running with the N280 chipset? I ask bc I found a really nice Acer Aspire One that had everything I wanted, but was N280 :(

The N450 one I just bought had everything I wanted, except integrated Bluetooth, but the N450 is sufficiently cheaper than the old N280s that the 20 bucks to get a bluetooth dongle still has it cheaper...but my samsung only came with the ye-ole 6-cell pila :(

Sadly, the full sized laptop I'm posting from has the processing power of a netbook, but none of the advantages :(

(P4 M 1.7 gig, 2 gig of ram, 60 gig hd, etc....27 min of battery life....)

KL,

Yes, I am pretty sure my Acer Aspire One Netbool has the N280 chips...It's not very fast with only 1GB or RAM. But I bought it primarily for the light weight, and small size. I also have an old laptop that does not have all the features of my Netbook and was over twice the cost. It is also slow and the battery life is pitiful at about 2 hours max and that's on a new battery fully charged!

The new Acer Intel dual core netbook also comes with 2GB or RAM upgradable to 4GB, so that helps the speed too. The only downside I see is they come with basic home version of Windows-7

My Acer netbook came with Windows-XP Home edition, but I quickly installed Windows-XP Professional. I also have one of them BlueTooth dongles but only use it for connecting a BlueTooth mouse.

I like the speed of the new Acer dual core Netbook, but I may not upgrade since I only use my old netbook for travel and it really does work great for that. I alrady have a pretty fast desktop computer that I use a lot, and I have a new Dell Lattidtude E6500 from work that is less than a year old....I really think 4 computers in one house occupied by one single guy is mre than enough access to the information super-highway..:grin:

...Rich

Stonemiser,

My Acer with the extended battery use to show a fully charged battery with 8.5 hours of use available on the Windows battery meter, but each time you charge the battery you will get just a tad less time available.

My extended battery was advertised as 8+ Hours run time when fully charged but that all depends upon what all is running and the amount of disk accesses, USB devices, etc and how bright your screen settings are. I have never used the computer until the battery went completely dead, but I would leave the PC running until the battery got so low it shut off the PC, but I was never around to time how long it really lasted.

...Rich

You can extend the life of your battery by not having it in while your running on AC power. Batteries can only be charged about 1000 times.

Richard, I understand what you are saying and know exactly what you mean. So far I've used it at work and turned on for the full 8.5 hours I am there, without it being plugged in. Still had plenty of life left on the battery. The ASUS has a " Super Hybrid Engine" in it that when it's on battery. it uses less power to run. As long as I don't run a bunch of programs (only surf the web), it seems to not draw a lot of power to run.

One question for all you guys. When I open up "My Computer" there are 2 drives. The "C" drive has all my programs on it and the "D" drive doesn't have anything, but the "D" drive has 160GB left. How do I store stuff on there (looking at storing movies/music) and when it is there, can I use it? I'm somewhat computer savvy, but not when it comes to this.

When/if you install new programs you can point it to install to the D drive.

You can change where the my documents folders are or where the libraries store by default.

Library locations are added by clicking on the library then at the top it says includes, click that and select a new folder you have created on the D drive.

I'm a little confused though since you said in the first post that it came with 160gb drive, and D has 160 left, so how big is C and is it the same physical drive?

JD, yeah, I was wrong. It has 250GB total HD.

So what you are saying is, I need to create a folder on there and then I can save stuff to that folder. Then when I want to I can just play it (movie or music) from there. I won't have to drag it back to a folder on the C drive to get it to play. Right?

Thanks for the help BTW.:supercool:

Correct and since it's window7 you can even create multiple folders and monitor them through the libraries button.

So if you create a d:\music and tell your music library to monitor that folder also you won't have to do anything as it will add it to the media player library. (Thats a lot of libraries...)

You can install software over there and it won't matter either, all the info is stored in the shortcuts so it knows where to look to run it.

If you need more help shoot me and email I've got a remote support utility that we could use I could show you how to do it.

Latest posts