My Mom--Off Topic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy G

Reaction score
I need some advice. My mother (70 yrs old) is buying a new 2008 Mazda Miata. I went with her to look at it Friday. She thought they gave a good price ($21,505) after days of negotiating. She did not plan on picking it up until today. She signed some papers at the dealership, but they did not give her copies so I am not sure what she signed. Anyways, the car was in the Sunday paper for $20,900. What should I do when we go today? I am prepared to walk away from the car, but she wants it bad... she does not plan on financing it, did not give a deposit, and did not give her SSN.

Walk-in, show them the ad, expect them to lower the price or walk. However, be sure they did not list a different vehicle with less options. Usually a vin number is attached to the ad. Good Luck...

i'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't there a federal law that allows you to return a new vehicle within three days anyway?

btw, she'll love the miata. my ladyfriend had an '01 for years and then just traded a few months ago for a porsche boxster. imo, she traded off a better car than she got.

dutch

Tammy,

Regardless of whether or not your mother has signed papers, she hasn't yet taken delivery. Even if she had, I'm pretty sure she is covered under PA's buyer's remorse laws (assuming your mom lives in PA too).

Under the Commonwealth of PA that period is 3 business days, though I am not sure if the clock starts from the time you sign, or the time you take delivery. A lawyer would know for sure. Typically though, if you haven't taken delivery no dealer is going to force the issue.

As Les said, go in prepared (or instruct your mom to do so). Demand them to lower the price, but EXPECT them to give you some reason why they shouldn't. I expect they will claim the vehicle purchased is different in options or style from the one advertised at a lower price. Either way, we are talking about $10/month difference on a 60 month finance.

If that's reason enough to back out of the deal then go ahead.

The lesson here is that the highest price one should pay is dealer invoice, less any additonal rebates and incentives. If a dealer is unwilling to show you the invoice price, which is typically thousands less than the sticker price, then walk away. Websites like Edmunds.com and their TMV (true market value) approximate invoice price very closely so they can be your first source.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of whether or not your mother has signed papers, she hasn't yet taken delivery. Even if she had, I'm pretty sure all states have some type of "buyer's remorse" period.

Not true in Florida. Once the vehicle is titled, it belongs to you...

Tom, some dealers here will give you "trial period" with a vehicle, but not all. I don't know if this options titles the vehicle or if you simply get to drive it for a period of time. In Pennsylvania, if you return the vehicle and it has been titled, does it now become a used vehicle, or under the circumstances the deal is annuled and the car retains its new status?

Les,

I don't know about the specifics, other than the 3 business days on all purchases. I am sure there are some consolidations to the seller (restocking fees, usage fees, fees for wear and tear, etc).

TJR

Hopefully you will be able to ge the dealer to lower the price to match the add but even if you dont the Miata is a great vehicle. I own a 2001 Miata SE and it is a great car. Lots of fun in the corners and when the weather is nice you cant beat dropping the top and feeling the wind in your hair.

If she didn't give a deposit or SSN or anything like that, I would think it would be far easier to walk away--the money is still in your hands.

If you can do that--

You might want to consider talking to another Mazda dealer first, and see if they will match or beat the Sunday ad. If so, it'll make your mom that much more comfortable walking into the first dealership after that and insisting on the lower price, in that she can know that even if she has to walk, she's still getting her car.

p.s. As comedian John Pinette once said, "The Miata is a great car. If you rub it on the carpet, it'll go!" :lol:

Another thought- You're only talking about a $605 difference, so there might be something else you can barter for. Maybe they'll throw in a premium item or two, free scheduled maintenance, etc.

ditto what piro said.

don't let the small price difference ruin all the fun she will have driving it.

btw, this is a ford sport trac website and ONLY sport tracs and fords can be discussed here.

otherwise, no more free lunches :lol:

Being a former new and used car saleman, It is a common misunderstood part of contracts concerning the 3 day right of recission. In Georgia, you have three days for contract which involve time shares, real estate and door to door salespeople, New cars do not apply because

as stated previously, you sign paperwork to process the title. The only exception is that IF you sign the paperwork at a location other than the place of business for which the dealer does business.

NEVER, EVER, EVER believe what a car salesmen tells you without it being in writing.

These people especially used car sales people are about the same in stature to trial lawyers and politicians. Except me when I was selling cars. ;)

Oh I forgot, have her go to http://www.miata.net A good website for miata owners.

Budfromballground is right. I did more research and it appears I was wrong. I was under the impression that the 3 day "buyer remorse", also called "cooling off" period applied to new cars in many states, but actually it seems NOT to apply to new cars in any state (unless of course, the dealer puts in such a special clause in a contract, which I haven't seen such).

However, many dealers do inact a 3 day cooling of period of sorts. Most I have dealt with, in a couple of states now, take a deposit with a signature of deposit on the vehicle. Sometimes the deposit is as small as $100. This just gets the ball rolling. Then, delivery of the vehicle is set for 3 days (or more) later. All final paperwork is done the day of delivery, and that's when the title/transfer is complete, etc.

Also, this is an excellent point for all...do NOT sign any contracts of sale, or contracts related to accepting delivery until you are ready to drive the vehicle off the lot.

Oh, and one last thing, have the vehicle pointed towards the dealer lot exit before signing any of the final paperwork. One of the saddest things I ever saw was a young women in tears because she and her husband just signed the final paperwork for her brand new white Mitsu Eclipse, and then the sales guy backed it into a pole as he was moving it over to them...nice basketball sized dent on the rear corner, and a busted taillight, etc.

TJR

Latest posts