My engine died! Ford say's I need a new one.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need your help. I have a 2001 Sport Trac, and the engine died this weekend, while I was driving to Reno. I was in Truckee and as I was driving I saw the oil gauge drop to none, then the check engine light came on, as well as most the other lights on my console. I lost power steering but was able to get the trac on the shoulder.

After 4 hours a tow truck came and picked up my rig. Last time I changed my oil was about 7k miles ago (I know, I know). When I checked my oil, it was low, really low. So I added a few quarts and tried to start the trac back up. But it wouldn't turn over. Anyhow, Today I had it dropped off at Jones-West ford in Reno and they took a look.

I have the Ford Extended Warranty, that covers the trac 6 years, 75,000 miles. I only have 51,000 on it, so I am still covered. When Ford took a look, they said that I need a whole new engine. The service associate told me it would be fully covered, then he took back his word and said, only if they can prove its their fault. I am thinking, maybe because I didn't change my oil in a reasonable time frame they will get me on that.

Unfortunatly, I didn't keep any of my service record for the oil changes, so I can't prove to them I was doing them regularly. If I get screwed and have to pay, what is the price of a new engine? And If I have to get it replaced, is there a cheaper alternative? Please let me know, as I am stressing, thinking I am out $10k.:(

Thanks!

-Ryan

I highly doubt an engine is $10 grand. A good mechanic, or you yourself, could get a nice low mileage engine out of a junk yard and change it out. It isn't that hard of a job. I mean, it is hard, but not THAT HARD.

Read your warranty manual. Does it say that you are required to have reciepts that you change your oil every 3,000 miles?

The recomended service for most vehicles is 7500 miles for normal service and 3,000 miles for severe service. That was the last time I checked, it could be different now so don't quote me on that.

The only problem I can forsee is the oil pump might have run dry causing your engine to seeze. If that is the case, you could be responsable for the repair.

Another option is getting a long block from a parts store and swapping it in. Jasper rebuilds good engines. A long block is about $3,200.00. Figure about another 750.00 to 1 grand for the install if you had to have a mechanic to install the engine.

If you know how to rebuild the engine, you could do if for much less. Hopefully the block isn't busted.

I hope I was able to ease your mind a little.

Honestly, I don't think you have much to worry about.

I do ask is that you keep us posted on what happenes. I am really interested to find out the income. We got a deal?

Tom

For $10k, you could buy a viper engine, or a VERY heavily built V8 with a supercharger. ;)

I really don't know if neglect would be covered by the warranty, but I'd kinda doubt it. I'd probably conveniently forget to mention that I hadn't changed the oil in 7k miles. However, most of the time oil will last over 7000 miles, but it won't be looking pretty when it finally DOES come out (it will be sludge).

What you probably did is lock up the engine from lack of oil. I am not a service tech, so I can't tell you if it will be covered or not. However, you can be pretty sure that you're not out $10k either way. You might check in a few junkyards for an engine, but buying a used engine is usually taking a pretty big chance. You never really know if it's going to last for 100 miles or 100,000 miles.

I think you are in luck because the burden of proof is on ford to prove that it ISN'T their fault, you don't have to prove that it IS theirs and not yours I don't believe...but don't quote me on that either.

I had a friend who never changed his oil. About 20,000 miles, the engine locked up and Ford replaced it for him. However, considering the fact that his family is one of the wealthiest here in town, and they buy 5 or 6 trucks per year from that particular dealership, it was in their best interest to replace it in HIS case.

I'm sure someone will come along with a more concrete answer shortly. Good Luck.

-Scott

Not changing your oil did not create the engine to fail. Now if the oil is as low as you say....... that could easily create the engine to fail.

If it failed due to a defective part, (pump, pick-up screen etc etc) you'd be covered as you have the extended coverage. If it failed due to your neglect, (low oil for example) I am thinking it will be your bill to pay.

A new engine is probably 2200 to 2500 or so. So add that to labor and all new fluids your probably looking at 3400 ish.

Just did a search for a used engine.

Found hundreds.

9k miles at $2000.00

8k miles at $8000.90

28,730 miles at $1300.00

30,000 miles at $695.00

54,000 miles at $550.00

lowest price I found was 39,277 miles at $299.99

So this will give you a few examples of what is out there. If you need help with a used engine let me know and I'll be glad to help you..

The burden of proof is on Ford to prove that you didn't properly maintain your vehicle. Receipts and service documents might be helpful, but you are not required to keep this information to maintain your warranty coverage.

It sounds to me like your engine siezed because of lack of oil. Now, you will have to determine what caused the lack of oil. Did a part fail (like the pump or pickup tube)? Did a road hazard (rock) puncture the oil filter or oil pan? Did you run it low on oil?

If a Ford part failed, they should cover the repair.

If the aftermarket oil filter failed, you will have to try to recover damages from the oil filter company.

If a road hazard damaged the oil filter or oil pan, you will have to see if your comprehensive auto insurance will cover it.

If you ran the engine with a low oil level or knocked a hole in your oil pan or oil filter when you went four wheeling, all I can say is "you poor bastard". :(

what about this??? the pic does not look like a st engine, but you can call and ask...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-FORD-EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ7974349928QQcategoryZ33615QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-FORD-SOHC-ENGINE-EXPLORER-MOUNTAINEER_W0QQitemZ8009013645QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

do an ebay search

Looks to me like they are using a generic picture simply to post the sale. I looked at their other sales and they are the same picture although they list various engines.

You said you put oil in it after it seized...the question is how much oil did you put in?

I take it that there was not a hole in the oil pan or evidence of an oil leak.

7000 miles is over the recommended oil change interval (5000), but that's not enough by itself to kill the engine. On the other hand, running low on 7000 mile-old two-quarts-of-sludge because you didn't even check the oil, let alone change it, that's your fault and if they can prove it, you're buying an engine. Dumping in a few more quarts might cover that up unless the dealer cuts open the oil filter or tears the engine down and sees all kind of scoring, then you're busted.

There are ways to unseize engines, but unless you know what your doing, you can do a lot more harm then good. Removing compression (removing spark plugs or the head) and using oil on the top side of the piston and letting it set over night then turning the crank with a socket usually works. But if you can get Ford to pay for a new motor, then go for it, chances are that if it seized from oil starvation that the motor would need to be rebuilt anyhow to check/replace for scoring and bad bearings.

Unfortuanate that you had to take it to that dealer. When I lived in Reno (almost 17 years) we called that dealer Jones WORST Ford. They have a bad reputation in that area as well as the Reno Police will never buy vehicles from them again. Push hard on them if they don't cover it or take it to the Mercury dealer on S. Virginia st about 3 miles down the road.

Thanks,

SST

I am still waiting to hear back from Ford. I'm glad to see if I do have to pay, it will be much less then my idea of 10k. I dont know where I got that number from, just evil thoughts in my head spit it out.

I found some rebuilt engines delivered to my door for $2700 from ATK engines. Has anyone heard of them? Since the truck is in Reno and I'm in San Jose, I would have to get the truck back here some how.

Anyway, you guys all helped ease my mind some, but I am still under stress, waiting for that call from Ford.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Ryan

Ford called and said so far, as they are concerned, it is their fault, and will be covered under warranty. They are waiting for a Ford inspector to come out and verify. I hope its covered. Anyone heard of the Ford inspector saying its the customers fault, after the dealership said it was Fords?

Appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

Ryan

You can bet they are going to take a look at the engine if they are going to pay for a new one. I hope they find a bad pickup tube or something faulty like that.

Sure, the corporate guy can deny your claim. Why else would they call him in?

Be firm with him--they have some negotiating room on their decisions. If you don't like his offer, you can probably call an arbitration panel. Check your warranty booklet for details.

Good luck.

The inspector can easily make a call you may not like. It is his job to protect Fords interest. That is not to say he will. I seriously hope they have found something in your engine that is leading them to believe that they have some responsibility to the failure. To be honest with you, I'd be truly amazed if Ford covers this.

If so, you need to be going to church.... LOL

Best of luck to you. Hope it turns out in your favor.

Latest posts