My dome light comes on randomly...any suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dome light on my 2007 sport trac as well as all the exterior light, like the ones that come on when you unlock the truck, just come on randomly when I driving down the road. It kicks on sometime when I beat on the steering wheel like drumming along with a song it will cause it to kick on as well, but I can beat on the steering wheel again and it goes back off. Any one else have this problem, is it a loose wire or something?

Good luck with this one. From your description it sounds like something's amiss in the steering wheel or column. If you decide on exploratory surgery be mindful of air bag precautions, heah?

It kicks on sometime when I beat on the steering wheel like drumming along with a song it will cause it to kick on as well

Change the bulbs to colored lighting and install a disco ball....LOL

Kidding, devil made me say it......Sorry as Vic said, wiring research can be tough.

GL...

If it's like my '01, the dimmer switch gets dirty and causes ghost lighting (seemingly with a change in humidity). I have to fiddle with it to get it working.

haha good one...its not just when I do that either it just kicks on for no reason while im driving along but I can still beat on the steering wheel and it goes back off

Mine does the same thing when I hit a bump. Also when I start it up, the dome light goes out, then when I shift into gear it comes back on for 15 seconds or so. Very distracting at night.

Spray the door locks, the part on the SIDE of the door with brake cleaner, let dry , then spray it generously with WD40 or white lith....

Open and close the door several times while doing this....

Fords door switches stinnk and I have seen this happen berfore. do it for all doors

Todd Z

Mine has been doing the same thing. Found this post (see below) on faulty ignition switch causing this and turns out thats what my problem was. Mine usually come on when I go from gas pedal to brake before going into a curve and my knee barely hits the keys. Jiggled the keys after reading this and happened almost every time. Very annoying, but cheap and easy fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been doing the same thing. Found this post (see below) on faulty ignition switch causing this and turns out thats what my problem was. Mine usually come on when I go from gas pedal to brake before going into a curve and my knee barely hits the keys. Jiggled the keys after reading this and happened almost every time. Very annoying, but cheap and easy fix.

http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1319758&REPLYCOUNT=2&sitename=mysporttrac

Glad you found my original reply to this issue!

After I changed out my ignition switch, I've been free and clear of this issue for over a year and a half.... As mentioned, a good test would be to jiggle, press and/or slightly turn the key when the symptom occurs

After this morning when they didn't come on at all, I've decided that the dome lights simply have a mind of their own and it is what it is. :fire:

Latest posts