My A/C is on holiday WTF

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Butler

Reaction score
Well I was on my way to work yesterday and it was decently hot out, so I figured "What the hell" and turned on my A/C to find out that I've got hot air blowing in my face on a hot day and a ticking noise that occurs every 10 seconds (Not sure if the tick is normal as I barely use my A/C) Anyone ever have this problem before? :cry:

Thanks!

Dan

I bet your low on coolant.. for the A/C that is..... You have a leak some where..

Todd Z

i have the same problem, the tick is the compressor turning on and off. My refrigerant level is normal. I still have this problem so I can't help that much.

i have the same problem, the tick is the compressor turning on and off. My refrigerant level is normal. I still have this problem so I can't help that much.

IF indeed the system IS charged correctly, a restriction may be causing the High side switch to cut off the compressor (High pressure limit), however this is not very common.

Most of the time if the compressor is cycling on and off it is due to a low freon level, causing the low pressure limit switch to shut the compressor off as the pressure drops below a certain point. Then once the compressor shuts off, the level on the suction side rises back up, and it turns back on.

For both of your situations, I would suggest it is a slow leak somewhere. If you have the know how and equipment, you can check with gagues to see the pressure and how it reacts when the compressor is on, (Checking/Monitoring both High and Low sides) but unless you are well educated on the use of the equipment, the potential hazards, and the EPA laws, it is best to have a professional work on the AC system. The professional may also save you a lot of time and money hunting down the leak to solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your blend door actuator. It could be bad and stuck on the heater side. Open your glove box, disengage the tabs that keep it from falling all the way open, start the truck, turn on the a/c, put your hand on the white box on top of the evaporator case. See if the clicks are coming from there.