my 2008 and its plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure enjoying my recently purchased 2008 (4x4 V8 XLT) yet its not the "TRUCK" my old 2001 was in some ways (got to go a lot slower when driving off-road like forest logging roads, etc.). But the Gen2 has a lot of stuff to like about it, not the least of which is the very, very nice and smooth V8 under the hood. To my great surprise I'm getting 18.9 mpg in just local driving. I was expecting no higher than 17 if lucky. Haven't done any long highway trips yet but looking forward to one soon.

I'm finding there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff for it, I guess the decision to discontinue the Sport Trac may have something to do with that. But, not much it really needs either.

I've got a question about its spark plugs: I've seen the posts re the potential for the plugs to break off if not carefully removed (re Ford's TSB on the matter). I was wondering if it would be smart to remove the plugs now (it has 37,000 miles on it), clean them up and give them a coat of anti-seize, and re-install them. I don't think its worth the $$$ replacing them, but it would reduce the potential for problems when they are eventually replaced at 100,000.

Good idea or not worth the effort?

Thanks.

Steve

The heads had a design change in early 08 that eliminates the issue,if the cops have brown caps on them your good to go,no worrys.

Even if you have the old style,changing plugs is trully a non issue,follow the ford TSB to the letter (use deep creep as a penetrating lube),have done mine 5 times without mishap.

Exhaust, Intake, MAF, UDP pulleys, Coils, Throttle body, XCAL, Charge motion delete plates and Supercharger are all available......

just a quick list

Todd Z

Thanks Bill...mine are black, not brown and the build date for the truck was 09/07 so I guess its the original style. But I guess its not worth dealing with and just make sure the appropriate procedure is done when the are due to be replaced.

Todd...thanks for the list. I'm tickled pink with the performance of the engine and don't see any point in improving it....I guess since I was so used to the V6 that this thing seems like a race motor to me. That said, your trottle body looks like a worthwhile upgrade and definitely on my list. I should do the exhaust, just like a should have done it on my old 2001 but never did and it held up for 10 years. We'll see.

Steve

its not the "TRUCK" my old 2001 was in some ways (got to go a lot slower when driving off-road like forest logging roads, etc.)

I think you're the first to openly admit that.

I would love a V8, though. I've tried to get my fiance to trade in her Z71 Tahoe for a Gen2 Adrenalin. She's not interested...yet.

I dont believe in 100k plugs. Thats not say they wont last. I change them at 60k to 70k. I changed the plugs in my moms grand marquis 4.6L @ 101k miles. From the looks of them they were 20k to 30k over due.

If you have the old style plugs at almost 40k. I would change them. Just for the piece of mind they dont break off. They may be burning clean but carbon is building on the shaft. The longer the more carbon.

JMO...

My 2008 was built in May of 2008, hence the redesigned spark pluge were in there. The change to a one piece plug occured in December of 2007. To be on the safe side, I went ahead and changed them at about 30K miles(using the required plugs from Ford, have heard some horror stories about using other brands). Follow the procedure and you'll have no issues. I'm coming up on 54K miles now, so plugs will be changed again in the Spring. Bob

steve:

Buy a modded throttle body form Todd Z....it's well worth the money....IMO! My last trip from Buffalo back to Dayton, OH, I got 24.5 MPG. It's an easy install and you get better throttle response.

'07 ST

Hugh...but I have to admit that the 2001 wasn't much of what I like in a TRUCK until I stiffed up the suspension by a bunch: sway bars; bilsteins; road active susp; end links; bushings; and a extra leaf in the springs. Yeah, it road like a truck but I could go dang near anywhere with it, and did. I could swing it into a corner and it would just take a set instead of rolling over! I called some shops about stiffening the new one's springs but apparently no one makes any for it. I guess I could put in the heavier 2009 sway bar but that's about it.

But...I have to admit the 2008 is a nice ride on the open highway. Always a trade off I guess.

I changed the plugs in the 2001 at 90K and again at 180K. I too was skekptical about the distance but they seemed to do just fine.

I'll give some thought about doing them when it rolls over 40K. Maybe the safe way to go and maybe it could use them anyway.

Steve

Latest posts